• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

My son wants my original Oakley t-wires

FloridaMan

Oakley Beginner
I have come here to do more research and find a pair for him (2016 HS grad gift). I have owned mine for more than 20 years (first gen). I have been watching e-bay and it's just hard for me to tell real from fake, because everthing looks slightly different from mine - due to camera angles and lighting.
I don't care about lenses or pristine condition, just interested in the frame, verified by trusted collectors.
I've been lurking for a while and this seems like a really informative and helpful site. Selling requres a wait period, but I am interested in buying this specific frame.
Thanks for any input.

Get new lenses and give them to him. Then buy yourself a different but better pair.

Are you talking about the Ti version of the E-Wire? You could also just get him a pair the E's

Become a premium member and gain instant access ;)

Welcome, hope to see you around the board.

Thanks for singing up, Florida! Please stick around after your exchange access clears and you (hopefully quickly) find your present. Plenty here to learn and play with, as you've already discovered.

;)

I have come here to do more research and find a pair for him (2016 HS grad gift). I have owned mine for more than 20 years (first gen). I have been watching e-bay and it's just hard for me to tell real from fake, because everthing looks slightly different from mine - due to camera angles and lighting.
I don't care about lenses or pristine condition, just interested in the frame, verified by trusted collectors.
I've been lurking for a while and this seems like a really informative and helpful site. Selling requres a wait period, but I am interested in buying this specific frame.
Thanks for any input.
Welcome to the forum. :)

Buying also requires a waiting and post count time limit unless you purchase premium access for immediate access. ;)

Okay - thanks for explaining the wait time. I may do the Premium.

So, I took my son to the optical shop to see if I could tempt him with a new Oakley frame. Nope. He was only interested in my 'Morpheus' sunglasses, which I happened to have in the car. Right now lenses in his Rx are on order.

I've had these frames for not 20, but almost 30 years. I play league tennis and just took a tennis ball to the temple - they took the punch as they always do.

My frames - they do NOT say 'Titanium' on the flip side of the nose piece. E-wires? I paid $125.00 for them back in the day.

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender 2.jpg

The E-Wires and T-Wires (and Square Wires) were reissued in.... sometime recent. I was going to say 2014. A near-direct copy of the Gen1 you show. And the confusing part is most of the sellers who still have some or bought up large lots for resale don't note it as being the Collector's Edition reissue, they just market it as a Gen1 vying for top dollar. But close scrutiny yields a few differences which trigger the alarm as a fake.

The sad part is they didn't sell well at all. The nice part was Vaults were blowing them out for as cheap as $40 after discounts, $80 sticker price.

The T-Wire only came with Chrome lenses though. I'm not a huge fan of Chrome.

The E-Wires and T-Wires (and Square Wires) were reissued in.... sometime recent. I was going to say 2014. A near-direct copy of the Gen1 you show. And the confusing part is most of the sellers who still have some or bought up large lots for resale don't note it as being the Collector's Edition reissue, they just market it as a Gen1 vying for top dollar. But close scrutiny yields a few differences which trigger the alarm as a fake.

The sad part is they didn't sell well at all. The nice part was Vaults were blowing them out for as cheap as $40 after discounts, $80 sticker price.

The T-Wire only came with Chrome lenses though. I'm not a huge fan of Chrome.

^Lots of information in this post, thanks Rustpot.^
After handing over my 30 year old frames, I almost feel relieved. I never thought I could keep anything that long, given how often you take them off and on, pack and unpack, etc. I feel open to looking at something new. If my son loses them, they are his, I've already given them away.
I may re-buy, but I'm open to something different. Just had a spiritual moment here ... thanks Oakley

Back