• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Mystery Flak Jacket Lenses?

MrMoonlight

Oakley Expert
Last spring, after wearing Radars for several seasons of ball, I started wearing XLJ Flak Jackets. To supplement the stock BI lenses, I picked up few other tints for various playing conditions...+Red, G30, etc. I also picked up a set of Tungsten Iridium. These are non-polarized, since don't like playing with polarized lenses. I find they mess with my depth perception a bit. I do like polarized for driving and cycling, though.

Anyway, I really dig these Tungsten lenses and was looking to pick up a spare set in case mine get scratched up. I know that Oakley offers them in the polarized version, but I've looked everywhere and no one has XLJ non-polarized Tungsten Irids. I can't remember where I ordered them from, but I still have the box and the lens bag that came with them. Even says Tungsten Iridium on the box, so I know these weren't cannibalized from another pair of shades. I checked the database over at O-Review and even they don't list it as as ever having been a Flak Jacket lens at all. It's like it never existed.

I don't know much about Flak lens history but it seems strange that after doing a lot of searching, I can't find any references anywhere of this tint ever having been available. Did I buy some oddball, one-off set by coincidence or something? Can someone shed some light or know where I can find another set of these things?

16-586 OK D2-Flak Jacket Repl Lens Kit Tungsten Ir
16-587 OK D2-Flak Jckt XLJ Repl Lens Kit Tungsten

16-586 OK D2-Flak Jacket Repl Lens Kit Tungsten Ir
16-587 OK D2-Flak Jckt XLJ Repl Lens Kit Tungsten

Thanks, Oakster. So they do/did exist.
So now the question is: are they still in production and, if so, how does one get a hold of some? I suspect a call to Oakley is in order, since no one lists them anywhere.

Discontinued - can't find a date, but they've been disco for a while. Just looked through my stock and I don't have them.

Googled...

From oakley.com:
"This product is discontinued and no longer available."

I'll call Oakley anyhow. Maybe they've got some old stock lying around. Can't hurt to ask.
Thank guys.

Discontinued - can't find a date, but they've been disco for a while. Just looked through my stock and I don't have them.

Thanks for checking, Oakster. I guess I got lucky last spring and unknowingly picked up some leftover stock. Might have to go with Gold Iridium as a backup then. A touch darker, but a similar base.

Latest Posts

Back