• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

NanoClear Lens Cleaner

the nanoclear cleaner came out around the time i got my first pair of oakleys. i thought that a cleaner/hydrophobic solution would be better than just a cleaner, so i got it to clean my lenses. i've coated my lenses several times since its all i have to clean them with. it has 2 jobs. to clean and to create a hydrophobic surface. while it may do both of these things ok, it doesn't do either of them very well. personally, i would say that if you were only going to get one or the other (regular lens cleaning kit or nanoclear solution), i would get the lens cleaning kit. if you want to do both, that would probably work too. clean with the cleaning kit and coat with nanoclear for a hydrophobic surface. the nanoclear just doesn't seem to clean very well or repel water /skin oils as great as i think it should. i do notice less residue on my lenses when i take them off at the end of the day. but its still there. so i think if you are going to have the clean them anyway, just use the cleaning kit.

i was curious why after such a short period of time, they discontinued the nanoclear. i emailed oakley to ask, but haven't received a reply yet. i want to make sure that it wasn't found to be harmful to lenses or anything since its all i've ever used.

just got a response from oakley.

"While not harmful for the lens, we are in the works of creating a better formula and kit for it. The new kit should be released in the near future. In the mean time, using the old solution will not have any adverse effects on the lens."

i'm still not sure why they wouldn't just continue to sell it until the new formula is released.

i thought i would share my thoughts since using the oakley cleaning kit for the first time. the cleaning kit definitely seems to clean better than the nanoclear. i dont know if its because of the formula, or the fact that it is a spray vs a pen, therefore its lubricating the lens more and allowing dirt to be lifted off easier. with that being said, i do seem to notice more "skin oil" on my lenses when i take them off now. the nanoclear was definitely doing its job by not allowing skin oils to cling to the lenses.

i guess you have to give something to have something. the nanoclear seems to be more for making the lenses hydrophobic rather than cleaning, even though it claims to do both. while the cleaning kit is more for cleaning (duh :D). if you could use both, that would probably be great. i would clean first, and then go over the lenses with the nanoclear pen. but again, if i had to choose only one, i would still go with the cleaning kit. the nanoclear may keep dirt/debris from clinging to the lenses for a while. but eventually, you will get something stubborn that doesn't want to come off so easily. and thats when you will need your oakley cleaning kit :)

Latest Posts

Back