• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need Advice With CL Deal

*[ghostText]

Oakley Enthusiast
I know this a stupid question, but is it safe to pay a CL seller through their bank account? Saw a pair of XX on CL in a nearly brand new condition with a price below $300.. The guy is willing to ship the glasses to me but will only receive payment through his bank acct, im a skeptical on sending my money thinking that i might get scammed and not get my money back. Im also thinking of driving 200 miles to pick them up.. Any advice?

I've done it, but only after having a long conversation with the guy over a few days. It's all on whether or not you get a good feeling during talking with him. There is always the risk involved. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it. Factor in your cost of fuel too...might be easier/cheaper to find another pair elsewhere.

Use a postal money order. Isn't it it mail fraud if he f*s you over then? Inexpensive way to earn a felony. Plus, you have an address to report to police...

Is there not someone closer that would e able to pick them up for you? Wouldn't that solve a lot of issues? Am i correct in assuming these are the ones in kalispel?

is he willing to accept paypal? or half now and half upon delivry? or even half now and half when you receive tracking confirmation? its a little dodgy, IMH but like ronk said it comes down to your comfort level with the seller

Use Paypal Invoice and propose that you pay the 3% Paypal fee. That's like 9 bux on $300. That way both of you will be protected. And if you offered to cover the Paypal fee and he still refuses, then it's obviously a scam!

Straight from CL

Notice their first rule

Just sayin ...

• DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON—follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.
  • NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is likely a scammer.
  • FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON—BANKS WILL HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
  • CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, provide escrow, "buyer protection" or "seller certification."
  • NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.).
  • AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.
  • DO NOT RENT HOUSING OR PURCHASE GOODS SIGHT-UNSEEN—that amazing rental or cheap item may not exist.
  • DO NOT SUBMIT TO CREDIT OR BACKGROUND CHECKS until you have met the job interviewer or landlord/agent in person.

Back