• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need Help From Electrician/car Mechanic

lawman0210

Oakley Expert
Is there a tool/meter that will allow you to touch it to wires in bundles/harnesses to detect power? Ie I have some harnesses wires in the middle of a run that I want to tap to put a power receptacle in. I want to figure out what wires are hot with key in ignition and if the power goes off when key is taken out. I know you can use a meter if you have a access to the ends. I don't want to cut into the wires. A/c has a cool little tool that you can touch it to see if a wire is hot. I was told that car voltage is so low its hard to detect. One guy told me I could get a "neon light" detector. He said neon light uses low voltage. I asked 3 auto stores and home depot and no one knows what I'm talking about.

Any help?

I have been working on vehicles for approx. 25+ years. PM me your vehicle info and what you are attempting to do....

I have heardnu can take a multi meter and sharpen thebpositive tip to pierce into wire and it will self heal

one way we did it when I used to do car stereo and alarm stuff was to take strippers and bite into the wire without cutting it and then use the multimeter/test light from there. The surface of the strippers will be your contact point. Will just break the insulation a hair, but not cut the wire. Or, if it is a thick enough wire, do like mentioned above and poke it, but be careful not to break through and stab yourself.

use this type of stripper
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-stri...=00982544000&kispla=00982544000P#crumbWrapper

not this type
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-prof...1x000001&kpid=00945749000&kispla=00945749000P

A multimeter would be the best bet. Can use it to detect low voltages etc and also to test of a cable is broke. We use them alot in college to test motorbike circuits.