• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need Lens Help

Great comparison pics thanks guys i really appreciate it.

The main concern for me is getting a lens (out of the choices oakley has left) that people can't see my eyes. Assuming thats the case? VR28 BI or BIP is it I think.

Great comparison pics thanks guys i really appreciate it.

The main concern for me is getting a lens (out of the choices oakley has left) that people can't see my eyes. Assuming thats the case? VR28 BI or BIP is it I think.

Yep, from the choices you originally listed, VR28 BI/BIP is your best bet; the reflective Iridium coating helps hide your eyes. Personally I'd take the polarized version over non-p any day, but they usually cost about 50% more.

Yep, from the choices you originally listed, VR28 BI/BIP is your best bet; the reflective Iridium coating helps hide your eyes. Personally I'd take the polarized version over non-p any day, but they usually cost about 50% more.
Yea the cost is about double. Not sure i need polarized or not. I'm just concerned about seeing my eyes as well as the "different" colored tint to the VR28 compared to the BIP that was in them.

The original BIP is neutral while VR28 is a contrast tint. Things will look different from behind the lenses. Personally I find VR28 relaxing and enjoy the extra detail from the contrast tint, but for full-on Texas summer sun I prefer normal BIP. VR28 BIP doesn't hide the eyes quite as well as normal BIP, but it's close. Your eyes will be more visible, regardless of lens type, if more light gets behind the lenses. If you were good with the fit before you should be all right.

In my various Juliets I wear Ice IP, +red IP, Fire IP, BIP, VR28 BIP, and VR50. Each seems to be suited to its own combination of season / light condition...

Hope it works out for you.

Last edited:
The original BIP is neutral while VR28 is a contrast tint. Things will look different from behind the lenses. Personally I find VR28 relaxing and enjoy the extra detail from the contrast tint, but for full-on Texas summer sun I prefer normal BIP. VR28 BIP doesn't hide the eyes quite as well as normal BIP, but it's close. Your eyes will be more visible, regardless of lens type, if more light gets behind the lenses. If you were good with the fit before you should be all right.

In my various Juliets I wear Ice IP, Ruby IP, Fire IP, BIP, VR28 BIP, and plain VR28. Each seems to be suited to its own combination of season / light condition...

Hope it works out for you.
Would you say VR28 BI isn't a full sun type of lens?

Hmmm, that's kinda subjective, I'm sure there's people here who would say either way. I prefer the dark neutral base in BIP and +RIP for the brightest sun and contrast VR28 BIP and FIP for partly cloudy, but the VR28 BIP and FIP are overall more versatile because they're still good if the clouds go away and the sun comes out in full. In the reverse situation with BIP and +RIP, I'd find myself switching glasses if too many clouds appeared.

If you're worried about them not being dark enough, it's another argument for going polarized - they block more light/glare without needing a darker tint. Plus, you see cool rainbow color effects in tempered glass and the like...

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I'm thinking they should be fine. I did not realize the polar version would be darker from the outside looking in though?! Thats interesting.

I suppose its them or dark grey. Never had a pair so not sure on the "darkness" of them either. Only had warm grey.

No, the polarized version doesn't look darker. I meant that for you as the wearer, polarized lenses block more light / glare than the exact same lens without polarization. The tint looks the same, but the wearer has less of a "squint" reflex and things look sharper.

Light travels in waves and can oscillate in various orientations, its specific orientation called its polarization (not to be confused with its color, that's different). Polarized lenses only allow light waves of specific polarization through to your eye while absorbing the light waves in other polarizations. So, less light gets through without darker tint.

It's an interesting effect when you first try it in bright sunlight - you feel like the tint isn't as dark as you should need for that light level, yet your eyes are as relaxed and comfortable as they would be with a darker tint. You can't really get that effect trying them in a store, the light isn't bright enough.

Anyway, whatever works for you - everybody has their own preferences and there's no telling how well ours line up.

So the VR28 lens is a rose color, which enhances contrast and will make warm colors (reds, oranges and yellows) appear more vibrant. It's one of the only lenses Oakley makes that does actual color enhancement (G30 to a lesser degree with green, G26 as a specialty for orange, Prizm). The rest of the "contrast" lenses apply a colored filter that allows your eyes to better distinguish depth, but I feel they tend to paint the world with a brush of a single color. Gold, for example, is a nice lens with a mild brown hue, and is pleasant to use, but it just kind of makes everything browner.

Using VR28 is unique in this regard. But as others said it doesn't feel as dark as say black, even if Black Iridium Polarized and VR28 Black Iridium Polarized are nearly the same transmission levels. Grey lenses (which black falls under) uniformly decrease the amount of light coming in. VR28 and other contrast lenses decrease some colors of light less than others. Blue might be at 5%, while red is at 15%, and you'll average 10% (made up numbers). This is also why VR28 feels usable in lower light, you're still getting part of the visible spectrum with a higher transmission rate, so you're not blocking out as much light.

Realistically your eyes will adjust to whatever you're wearing. I've used plain VR28 (no iridium, no polarized) out in snow and ice on a sunny day. It was a little rough at first, but I adjusted to no longer having to squint and it was still a heck of a lot nicer than not wearing glasses.

I highly recommend having something with a VR28 tint in your collection. It really is a wonderful lens color. Adding iridium or polarizing filters (or both) is nice, and makes the already wonderful VR28 more easily used in bright and intense light.

As far as seeing your eyes through them? They've got an iridium coating, Oakley's mirror. While the intensity of iridium isn't exactly equal between lenses like Fire or Slate, your lower transmission lenses (below 13%) will generally have a full coating with comparable reflectiveness.

This picture is me wearing a pair of Ten with VR28BIP. Nice and opaque mirroring.
th_9E6E1794-CB30-40EB-936F-53EC3D6D2A8A_zpsqg8zmc3u.jpg

And here's a Tungsten polarized lens in a wire pair, getting sun from the side. While still having a brilliant mirrored surface, light bleeding from the side will illuminate my face and allow my eyes to be seen.
th_EAF5ED96-A900-4605-9F24-2E670E7F05A7_zpsqrfszstz.jpg

And here again is Grey. Standard, run of the mill, passed over at every chance grey. Most of the time they appear pretty opaque as well.
th_A339C851-332F-4C14-9B1C-EEA37FB2B988_zpscfkdiby5.jpg

I was doing some lens swapping today and thought I'd put together a temporary example for you while I was at it. Unfortunately it's an overcast day so I can't show you pics in bright sunlight, but anyway...

I put a BIP in the (wearer's) right orbital and a VR28 BIP in the left. From the outside (without light leakage behind the lenses) they are hard to tell apart:
20140202_135529crop.jpg

But from the viewer's perspective, they're quite different:
20140202_135440crop.jpg

Last edited: