• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need Lighting Help For XMetal Singlewide

Here are a few pix of the nother new case I got, the 3.2 mega tower I think they call it. With the top LED bulbs burning but no fluorescents bottom or top for the Oakley sign, any ideas on the lights out would be greatly appreciated!
Just buy OEM replacement lamps from @Oakster for cheap and call it done!

I done bought replacement lamps and that didn't fix it, so I'm assuming it has to be the ballast, does @Oakster have those as well, and how do you look at what he does have to offer for them, where would I find that at??

I done bought replacement lamps and that didn't fix it, so I'm assuming it has to be the ballast, does @Oakster have those as well, and how do you look at what he does have to offer for them, where would I find that at??
Did you buy LED's or Halogen replacements?
Halogens use a transformer that typically steps 120VAC down to 12VAC.
LED's use a driver that convert from 85-260 VAC (which our 120VAC conforms to) to 5- 36 VDC (AC to DC) and conditions the voltage.
Ballast drive fluorescents typically.
You must power each lamp with the correct power source otherwise you will get nada or you will let the smoke out.
You have to pay attention to voltages when working with these types of lighting.
Don't know if you knew that or not, trying to help...

Yea thanks @CarGuy I understand how they work for the most part, I'm a lineman by trade for the power company, but do most my work on higher voltages such as 12,476 volt up to 34,500 volts, so I understand electricity for sure but not at all implying I know everything about it and some things (such as lights in cabinets) lol, can be confusing. The LEDs in my cabinet came that way, it's a 3.2 (according to the label on it) and from what I understand it came with those from factory and it does have the xfrm inside for those, my problem is with only the flouresants (2 in top for sign and 2 in bottom for shelves). I checked and had 120v on each light socket on each end so I thought it would be bulbs, so went to Lowes and bought 4 bulbs and still didn't work so now I guess I need to change ballast. My question was could i get those at Lowes also and I don't see why they wouldn't work so I'm gonna try those this evening and hope that works. Thanks so much for your help though I really appreciate it, and hopefully @OakleyFrankFMJ i will soon be able to access the exchange forums so I can check out what is available. Again thanks for all the help I will let you know if the ballast from Lowes work out for me!!

The ballast did work and fix my problem, I do have all lights working now. My bulbs were about gone though so I changed them to just a standard like kitchen and bath bulb and I don't really like the warm of the light, I would rather have a cooler color like a 4000 or 5000 lumen and all I could find was like a 3200 so I got it just not real pleased with how the flouresant in bottom is a completely different shade than the top LEDs shining down. Does anybody know of a different bulb or maybe even an LED in the fluoresant they offer?? And it may look a little better and not as bright once I put some glasses and stuff on the bottom shelf hopefully!! Thanks

IMG_6105.JPG

IMG_6106.JPG

Congrats on the pick up!

As for lighting, yes, there's a lighting kit that replaces the opaque plastic, but they seem to be very hard to come by for the single cases. Depending on how many Oakleys you have, the small shelves on the singles can be easily filled resulting in not much light getting to the lower part of the case anyway, so I found it better to forget the top light, and go with LED strip lighting instead. I just ran a strip down each of the front corners pointing back into the case which provided great lighting while ensure the LEDs were hidden form view.

View attachment 283928
When you installed the led strips did you need to cut notches in the shelves to get them to fit back in. The shelves on my case seem pretty snug to the edges

Back