• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need some guidance on Wiretaps

I've had several pairs of the new-ish Wiretaps and they're pretty heavy compared to other "active" models. Not saying you couldn't use them for mountain biking and stuff like that, but I'd be worried about them sliding off my face with too much sweat.

Also, I'd say that a Carbon Blade would probably be the one frame that would do it all. They look good with anything really and they're the lightest frames out there. Here's a pair of mine with matte frames and Titanium Iridium Polarized lenses.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1431280042-166783-jpg.150457.jpg

After looking, I might have to be a "two pair" kind of guy. I'm really liking the gascans that are the standard issues. So starts the addiction...

I have a pair of Half Wire 2.0's that I have had for years. I had the frames replaced after about two years because one of the spring hinges started to pull out. A little research online showed that this was a fairly common problem with that hinge design at the time. Since then I have been more careful with them and they have been great for the last 3 to 5 years. They can start to feel a little heavy on the nose after wearing them for a long time, especially in hot weather.

The Wiretaps are a very similar design to the Half Wire 2.0's but the hinge problem appears to be resolved with the newer design as I haven't found anyone reporting any problems with them online. The Wiretaps are also similar in weight to the Half Wire 2.0's. I may eventually get a pair of Wiretaps because my Half Wire 2.0's are not Polarized. Seeing them in person, the Carbon Frames appears to have more of the greenish gunmetal grey color and less silver.

I just got a pair of Carbon Blades that are light weight, beautiful in design, finish, and quality but they are expensive and some have reported that they can be some what fragile, so I plan to be very careful with them.

I would suggest that you also check out the Bottle Rockets. Mine work very well for all around glasses. They are light, durable, and very comfortable. They are similar in shape and design to the Wiretaps, but they have a little more sporty, less dressy look. The lenses can also be replaced or switched easily. Pretty good price compared to Wiretaps or Carbon Blades too.

Just bought a pair for $160 shipped NIB. Got the matte black frame with the black iridium polarized lenses. The OO4071-05's. Good deal? So-so?

Back