• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need Urgent Help!!!!

Hydreliox

Oakley Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I am faced with a dreaded hinge failure on my Half X - X metal glasses. The hinge has snapped where it changes from a square to round shape and joins the ear stem. There is a small pin on the inside of the ear stem, and if I can remove it and see the shape of the adjoining hinge, I may be able to repair the frames. I know you can't get a replacement hinge from Oakley (or a third party) but I am fortunate enough to have machine shops close to me that can manufacture it from stainless steel - as long as I can provide a template.

To summarise, how do I disconnect the ear stem from the hinges? I can not tell if the pin is a rolling pin which is fixed, or if I can somehow unscrew it (torx or a bit of brute force).

Thanks good people....I'm just that kind of guy that would rather attempt a repair and fail than give up before I get started!!

All the best,
Jim

Hi guys,

I am faced with a dreaded hinge failure on my Half X - X metal glasses. The hinge has snapped where it changes from a square to round shape and joins the ear stem. There is a small pin on the inside of the ear stem, and if I can remove it and see the shape of the adjoining hinge, I may be able to repair the frames. I know you can't get a replacement hinge from Oakley (or a third party) but I am fortunate enough to have machine shops close to me that can manufacture it from stainless steel - as long as I can provide a template.

To summarise, how do I disconnect the ear stem from the hinges? I can not tell if the pin is a rolling pin which is fixed, or if I can somehow unscrew it (torx or a bit of brute force).

Thanks good people....I'm just that kind of guy that would rather attempt a repair and fail than give up before I get started!!

All the best,
Jim

Hi Jim,
Maybe we can help you better if you post the pics of the hinge you are referring to... From there see what we can do.
Keep your hopes up! :)
Thanks

Highlighted in the red circle on the picture. I can't tell if it is a rivet driven in to hold the hinge in place, or if its a T3-T4 type screw that is biting in.

Thanks for the response :) We'll keep trying! I have also heard I may be able to get the part laser welded....? Not sure of that in the Philippines ;)

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back