• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Neutral Or Contrast Lens

Just another note, around water polarization is going to make a bigger difference than contrast/non or iridium/non. You also should bear in mind that you are talking to people with dozens of not hundreds of pairs, so most don't really deal with the issue of one pair for all circumstances.

Just another note, around water polarization is going to make a bigger difference than contrast/non or iridium/non. You also should bear in mind that you are talking to people with dozens of not hundreds of pairs, so most don't really deal with the issue of one pair for all circumstances.

lol I'm only up to 15, give me more time... but if you stick around the forum you'll end up with more, too... it's not mandatory but the addiction is infectious, it'll happen before you realize it...:spiteful:

But I started with just one and soon got a second, and then ran with only those two for 7 years... one neutral and one contrast.

Polarization is a whole other story. Personally I consider it almost must-have; once you go polar it's hard to choose to wear non-polar. The best reason someone may choose non-polar is if they have to interact with a lot of LCD screens while wearing them - LCDs are also polarized and some of them (but not all) are oriented so that your polar oaks will block them. They're also more expensive.

When I'm looking to get a new lens, here's all the factors I consider, in this order:

1) What do I have already? (only applies if you already have others)
2) Polarized?
3) Neutral or contrast?
4) Light transmission %?
5) Iridium coated?
6) Color?
7) Are they available / can they be custom cut for the frame I want? (If the answer is no, start over...)

And that's why I shake my head a bit when I see people who are only considering color - unless the pair are going to be shelf whores then you're going to spend more time looking through them than at them; those other factors are more important...

No 3rd party replacement lenses, regardless of how nice they may look. Inferior optics and they devalue your Oaks.

Back