• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New And Info On What To Purchase

Daniel Clifford

Oakley Beginner
Hi there :),
i thought i ask you info on Oakley sunglasses.
I'm interested in purchasing a pair of Oakley radarlock or Oakley radarlock photochromic.
I would use them for walking/running and for driving.

1) If I was buying off the oakley website or perhaps shadestation? i was thinking of customizing a pair for myself with colours i wanted but unsure whether to choose the lens? whether standard, polarizied or photochromic.? what's the difference.

2) The len shape path or pitch? what's the difference?

I know you can custom design radarlock on the oakley website... I like when u customise urself that u get two pairs of lens.

Any help would be fanastic.
Daniel

1- Shadestation is based in the UK. So you might not get the best pricing from them if you're in the USA.

A polarized lens handles glare a lot better than a non-polarized lens. I prefer polarized for driving to cut down on glare from the sun reflecting off cars and the road. Iridium lenses will also reduce glare more than a non-iridium lens. So you basically go Standard, Iridium, Polarized, Polarized Iridium in the level of glare reduction.

Some people don't like polarized lenses. Some can't use them as they have adverse reactions to looking through polarized lenses. Some car displays will be rendered unreadable by the polarized filter.

Photochromic is a type of transition lens. It uses UV light to activate a darker tint and will change shade based on lighting. It's not useful in your car since the windows are UV coated and the lens won't react and stay clear. A lot of people that use them like them for biking or other sports where you may transition from light to dark areas (running or biking in the woods) or have changing conditions where you don't really have your hands free to remove the glasses and replace lenses, or something like that.

2- Path is the smaller lens, which has deep scallops along the bottom to fit along your cheeks. If you're smaller or the glasses fit close to your face you'll probably want Path. Pitch is a bigger lens, that extends further down. It provides more coverage, but it may contact your face which some people don't like. You'll have to try them on to see which works best.

There is also the XL size, which is a taller lens that extended between the nose and brow of the frame. This moves the top of the frame up and out of the way to give you more flexibility when riding in full tuck and looking up, or opening up more peripheral coverage above what the standard frame will. I believe the XL lenses extend downward about the same as the Pitch lens.

Here are the quick answers. Search the forum and I bet you can find more detailed answers.

Standard HDO Lens: Blocks 100% UVA, UVB, UVC and 400 nm of blue light.

Polarized: Does all of the above but additionally blocks more glare to reduce squinting and sometimes improve color. Sometimes has a downside of decreased depth perception and sometimes its hard to read digital readouts.

Photocromic basically gets darker with more exposure to UV. When you go inside they get lighter and outside the get darker. Never dark enough for me though. But also has the same properties of standard lenses.

Photochromatic as states above, they dont get dark enough for me as well!!! I own 2 photo lens. They do turn dark, but never as dark as I want them to be. I rarely use them, only on cloudy days. Also If you use them in driving they wont even turn dark at all cause of the uv coat on your glass mirror.

Pitch vs path. Pitch are a little bigger on the edges and fit a bigger face person, or bigger head person better.
When I first got into running I wanted all pitch lens for my radarlocks. As I started losing weight 10-20-30 pounds I slowly move to path lens.

Back