1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. LT0844

LT0844 Oakley Beginner

PEO Soldier | Approved Eyewear
    Army releases new, longer list of approved eye pro

Came across this today. I'm glad to see more ballistic options out there, especially for my buddies that are still active duty. Not surprisingly the more recent ballistic Oakley and ESS products like the M Frame 3.0 and Rollbar were added. However I'm surprised that the Racing Jacket made it on the list. I never knew they made a ballistic version of it, not even available at Standard Issue.

marc2040 likes this.
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

They may be making a new Racing Jacket? Either way it has an NSN number assigned, so it should be available through supply chain.

Most of the Oakley frames would likely pass ballistic testing. Weaker wire frames like the Crosshair would not, so they made a new version to give wire frame options for uniform wear (which I don't see on the APEL list, all of which have interchangeable lenses though). Aviators/Pilot glasses don't pass muster. The Ballistic M Frame included the third gen frame, requirements stipulate the lenses cannot come free of the frame during impact and the normal M Frame friction fit would, so they added the clip. The 2.0 and 3.0 were iterations on the frame design to better mesh with helmets, earpro, comms, NODs, NVG, etc.

marc2040 likes this.
  3. LT0844

LT0844 Oakley Beginner

Interesting, the "SI" Racing Jacket was introduced at the 2013 SHOT show SI Ballistic Racing Jacket - ADS, Inc.

The Det Cord isn't on there, along with ESS' other "spectacles" (Credence, CDI, CDI Max and 5B). They all meet MIL-PRF-32432 and ANSI Z87.1 (2010), I wonder if they also got tested or not.

4. Rustpot

As I mentioned, all of those pairs listed have interchangeable lenses. And while normal frames may be able to, they're not designed for it.

5. LT0844

LT0844 Oakley Beginner

Got it. The CDI and CDI Max does feature quick lens change capability though.

6. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

Can a civilian buy the ballisticc goggle?

7. LT0844

LT0844 Oakley Beginner

Not from SI. I do see some legit 1.0 and a few 2.0 Ballistic goggles on Ebay however.

8. Nortika

Nortika Oakley Expert Premium Member

That's awesome, to bad they didn't have this when I was in :mad:

9. Ventruck

Ventruck Oakley Expert

marc2040 likes this.
  10. Rustpot

Just for funsies, SMGLee wearing a pair of SI RJs with jaw swaps

New Authorized Protective Eyewear List (APEL) for 2015, (Including New Oakley Additions) - SMGLee_FAL02.jpg

Ventruck likes this.