1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Campagnolokid

Campagnolokid Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member

I got these juliets through a trade from @LostinOhio a while back. First x metals I ever owned!!!! Came with black iridium lenses but I wasn't a fan.
    Decided to get some custom cuts by @InfiniteHero and damn!
    I got some flak xlj PRIZM road for my juliets. Fit perfect. Looks awesome.
    And some XX lenses. Polarized Sapphire iridium out of turbines.
    Both look sweet but I wish I could make is close 100% on the xx. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, don't think so.... is it maybe because of the diff. Lens curve? Either way it's close enough for me. I'm satisfied. Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

The thing is, due to the manufacturing process there's slight variations from frame to frame; when lenses are cut from a standardized template sometimes they don't fit perfectly in certain frames. That's why some hand cutters like XMM have you send in your frames with the cuts, so they can adjust for those variations.

Still, it's better that they're too big than too small...

What you can do is a little DIY fitting. First step is to figure out where they're too big - stacking them with OEM lenses and looking for overlap might help, but otherwise you just have to look at where the stress point is on the orbital when you try to close them. Then use some fine sandpaper to wear down the offending edge. Do it a little at a time so you don't take off too much...

OakleyFrankFMJ likes this.
  3. Campagnolokid

Awesome. I was just doing that same exact thing. Using a fine file.

4. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

Still, it's better that they're too big than too small... <<<-------- THAT SIR IS WHAT SHE SAID!!!! :rofl:

Uxi, kronin323, Wicked and 2 others like this.
  5. LostinOhio

LostinOhio Oakley Enthusiast

Lost wax casting is a QA nightmare. You end up with tolerances you can drive a truck through. A lot like automotive come to think of it....

Campagnolokid likes this.
  6. NoFair

NoFair Oakley Collector

And just like with lenses it is no fun if it doesn't go in no matter how hard you try....

kronin323 and OakleyFrankFMJ like this.
  7. joecool862

joecool862 Keeper of the Skull Premium Member Lifetime Member

I'd talk to IH about it. I'm sure he would be happy to trim it for you to make it the perfect fit.

8. Campagnolokid

i actually went ahead and trimmed myself. fits awesome. just one side a little big.

joecool862 and OakleyFrankFMJ like this.
  9. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

Did it hurt? When you trimmed yourself? :p

Oakley-olic, Campagnolokid and NoFair like this.