• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New lights in 3.0 display case

SiRacer420

BWPMF
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
NOLA
It's no secret that the lights int he 3.0 towers blow ass. I've been battling with what to do for a while. @kronin323 had the best idea, install strip LED lights in the corners facing back. Naturally I stole his idea, see his thread here: http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/...-are-many-like-it-but-this-one-is-mine.35987/

The only difference is I'm cheap AF and don't need many colors so I went the China route. I ordered 2 of these LED strips from China: DC12V 16ft 1-5M 5630 waterproof 300 LED Light Strip Flexible Ribbon 3M Tape lamp | eBay

As you may imagine, it took about a month to get but they were only $1.20 each so SCORE! I just wired them up to the LED driver that I installed when I first got the case. I'm more than pleased with the outcome and just ordered enough to do the rest of my cases, ALL OF THEM!

Before:

IMG_1739 2.JPG

After: (The fluorescent bulb in the bottom went out a few days ago and I haven't changed it yet. I kind of like it with out it)

IMG_2011.JPG

Excuse the dirty shelf, it's time to clean again.

IMG_2012.JPG

I like the way you displayed all the boxes with your sunnies! I had the same problem with my 3.0 and I did the same, Installed the LED strips in the front. It turned out great too. Your display is excellent!

It's no secret that the lights int he 3.0 towers blow ass. I've been battling with what to do for a while. @kronin323 had the best idea, install strip LED lights in the corners facing back. Naturally I stole his idea, see his thread here: http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/...-are-many-like-it-but-this-one-is-mine.35987/

The only difference is I'm cheap AF and don't need many colors so I went the China route. I ordered 2 of these LED strips from China: DC12V 16ft 1-5M 5630 waterproof 300 LED Light Strip Flexible Ribbon 3M Tape lamp | eBay

As you may imagine, it took about a month to get but they were only $1.20 each so SCORE! I just wired them up to the LED driver that I installed when I first got the case. I'm more than pleased with the outcome and just ordered enough to do the rest of my cases, ALL OF THEM!

Before:

View attachment 301461

After: (The fluorescent bulb in the bottom went out a few days ago and I haven't changed it yet. I kind of like it with out it)

View attachment 301462

Excuse the dirty shelf, it's time to clean again.

View attachment 301463
Nicely done. :)

You can also use those same led strips under the bottom panel and light it up nicer than the stock lights.

Nicely done. :)

You can also use those same led strips under the bottom panel and light it up nicer than the stock lights.
AHHHHHHHH Good call! Gonna do that!!!

I like the way you displayed all the boxes with your sunnies! I had the same problem with my 3.0 and I did the same, Installed the LED strips in the front. It turned out great too. Your display is excellent!

For me, half the collectibility is the box. I spend more time looking for pairs with nice boxes than anything else (TWHS) besides, the storage areas in all the cases are full lol

Thanks!

AHHHHHHHH Good call! Gonna do that!!!

For me, half the collectibility is the box. I spend more time looking for pairs with nice boxes than anything else (TWHS) besides, the storage areas in all the cases are full lol

Thanks!
If you had a 3.1 you could do that to both the top of the case and the bottom of the case. ;)

Or you could convert yours to a 3.1. :rolleyes:

If you had a 3.1 you could do that to both the top of the case and the bottom of the case. ;)

Or you could convert yours to a 3.1. :rolleyes:
That is sounding like a better option. I really don't like the spot lights the more I look at them. That will have to wait though. We are enclosing the garage after Christmas to move the office and I'm moving all the cases in there. They'll finally all be in one room. Then I can do any conversions.

I'm really looking forward to emptying out all the cases and starting over. The damn Ducati section has outgrown it's shelf.

i am looking at the lighting but i don't see any change from before and after.

i am looking at the lighting but i don't see any change from before and after.
It's a lot more noticeable in person. Pictures are bad for showing the brilliance of the LEDs but I tried. I'll see if I can get some better ones.

Back