1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. SiRacer420

SiRacer420 I've got a few Oakleys

It's no secret that the lights int he 3.0 towers blow ass. I've been battling with what to do for a while. @kronin323 had the best idea, install strip LED lights in the corners facing back. Naturally I stole his idea, see his thread here: http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/...-are-many-like-it-but-this-one-is-mine.35987/

The only difference is I'm cheap AF and don't need many colors so I went the China route. I ordered 2 of these LED strips from China: DC12V 16ft 1-5M 5630 waterproof 300 LED Light Strip Flexible Ribbon 3M Tape lamp | eBay

As you may imagine, it took about a month to get but they were only $1.20 each so SCORE! I just wired them up to the LED driver that I installed when I first got the case. I'm more than pleased with the outcome and just ordered enough to do the rest of my cases, ALL OF THEM!

Before:

New lights in 3.0 display case - IMG_1739 2.JPG

After: (The fluorescent bulb in the bottom went out a few days ago and I haven't changed it yet. I kind of like it with out it)

New lights in 3.0 display case - IMG_2011.JPG

Excuse the dirty shelf, it's time to clean again.

New lights in 3.0 display case - IMG_2012.JPG

Jon the Don, thisguy, QLR1 and 2 others like this.
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. doowahditty

doowahditty Oakley Enthusiast

I like the way you displayed all the boxes with your sunnies! I had the same problem with my 3.0 and I did the same, Installed the LED strips in the front. It turned out great too. Your display is excellent!

SiRacer420 likes this.
  3. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

Nicely done. :)

You can also use those same led strips under the bottom panel and light it up nicer than the stock lights.

cyclerdoug and SiRacer420 like this.
  4. SiRacer420

AHHHHHHHH Good call! Gonna do that!!!

For me, half the collectibility is the box. I spend more time looking for pairs with nice boxes than anything else (TWHS) besides, the storage areas in all the cases are full lol

Thanks!

5. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

If you had a 3.1 you could do that to both the top of the case and the bottom of the case. ;)

Or you could convert yours to a 3.1. :rolleyes:

6. Nortika

Nortika Oakley Expert Premium Member

Looks great

SiRacer420 likes this.
  7. SiRacer420

That is sounding like a better option. I really don't like the spot lights the more I look at them. That will have to wait though. We are enclosing the garage after Christmas to move the office and I'm moving all the cases in there. They'll finally all be in one room. Then I can do any conversions.

I'm really looking forward to emptying out all the cases and starting over. The damn Ducati section has outgrown it's shelf.

OakleyFrankFMJ likes this.
  8. gascan21

gascan21 Oakley Beginner

i am looking at the lighting but i don't see any change from before and after.

9. Wicked

Wicked Oakley Expert Premium Member

1st pic the bottom is lit and 2nd it's not :D

10. SiRacer420

It's a lot more noticeable in person. Pictures are bad for showing the brilliance of the LEDs but I tried. I'll see if I can get some better ones.