• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

NEW Oakley "Airwaves" Goggle . . .

Actually I will have to respectfully disagree. The idea of heads up display has to do with taking your eyes off what you are doing, the actual tilting of the head has nothing to do with it. Whether you move your whole head or your eyes off of what you are doing your still not watching where your going and distracted.

You are 100% correct. If it was projected on your lens it would be a HUD. This is just a tiny screen in an awkward position.

The idea is based on your forward vision. Although you do have to move your eyes down, it is still within the range of your heads forward vision. Again, HUD does not necessarily mean that your display is projected. Projection is obviously favored in HUD for its transparency but all that is needed to make one is to put some kind of display on or over something in your forward facing view, which Oakley has obviously done.

I think a projection onto the lens itself would actually be worse because then you have to focus on the front part of the lens rather than focusing on what's past the lens.

The screen is fully adjustable inside the goggle, it can be tilted and moved up and down. Perhaps you should've tried to find a better screen adjustment?

It took me a while to find a very comfortable position of the screen this past weekend, but I finally managed to find one. It takes a little getting used to, but by Sunday it became second nature to look at times. Didn't really distract from my boarding. I never even looked at it when boarding, it was more something to use after a jump or up a lift.

I tried the Airwave today. To be honest, I wasn't very impressed. The screen is tiny and you actually have to concentrate on looking at it and take your vision away from looking forward to see it. It makes sense whirrx that you found of it use after boarding rather than during.

Apparently only 80 pairs are available in Europe.

I finally got to try one of these out in Orlando. I actually loved it. My boyfriend on the other hand hated it. Since I have never been snowboarding I really can't say how effective the display would be. But I can honestly say that if they make an MX version of this I will be buying it!

i got this mask for christmas :) i so lucky about it and hope to rock the slopes soon

The tech is pretty cool but it's just so much heavier than any of the other goggles. I would really only want to use it on groomers: too much turbulence could make the goggle bounce too much in my opinion.

I tried it out. I agree with many that it MAY be distracting if used WHILE moving (Ill go into this more later and why I don't really find it that bad), and in my opinion the most likely realistic useful functions in motion are the speedometer, clock, txt alert. The gps or altimeter is a cool trick that may be better served when stopped. That being said, its other functions, if you look at oakley's description, is to integrate all wearable technology into one singular useful display without having to look at your watch, or your phone (for example), and I think the assumption is a lot of these functions are while you are stopped (chairlift, middle or top of your run, etc). In that...I think oakley has done a marvelous job, and ever since intel bought out recon (the hud company) it seems they have worked out the previous connectivity kinks. This is the future of goggles. They are already integrating it with garmin and gopro. Will there always be a place for oldschool goggles sure.

In terms of distracting: I dont think its very distracting and its a matter of momentarily moving your eye slightly down. I have to respectfully disagree on some opnions here that this cant be done without keeping your "heads up" position. My eyes are constantly surveying the environment when skiing (even if my head isn't moving) and it takes a milisecond. To me, the airwave's "hud" is basically this motion

The price will deter most. The battery life limits it to mostly day trips and not backcountry trips. Im sure at some point when it becomes more widely used, the tech is improved, the price will drop, and people will buy and appreciate this

Back