• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New To Frogskins, But On A Budget, So Which Are The Essentials To Have!

Phildaw

Oakley Beginner
Hi, great forum BTW... many a sleepless night spent drooling over sunglasses!

I am looking to invest in one pair of Frogskins, so, and I am not sure this is a question which can be answered, which ones would you recommend as being a staple for your wardrobe?

I am really drawn to the clear/crystal black ones, but which lenses? Red/Blue/Violet?

Should I go wild on the oakleys, get a colourway uniquely Oakley, and just get some cheap Wayfarer style ones when I want to go subtle.

So far I think I am set on a crystal black with positive red lenses... but then I see the clear with violet.. but then I can get the black tortoise acid ones for a good price.... so a bit indecisive, and there is nothing better to beat indecision than asking on an internet forum!!

Any advice would be much appreciated...

First things first, welcome aboard.

Now let's start the criticism, in no particular order:

Wayfarers are a model, not a style. It's like saying Kleenex to describe a tissue. We talk Oakleys, so in this case you'd be asking for a Frogskin or a Jupiter model to sport the subtlely dangerous yet dashing look of the 1950's.

Secondly, very few members one only one pair. Therefore, the best way to settle indecision is to get both.

If you're looking for the omnipotent Frogskin, it's Polished Black/Grey Polarized. Go anywhere, do anything pair.

Personally, I don't like to wear Frogskins as they have no shape to them; they came after the Eyeshade but didn't even take the one thing that Jim Jannard looked for in sunglasses: full coverage for your entire eye.

Check out Oakleyvault.com, it's Oakley's sale page and you can get pairs up to 50% off. Boom, one pair just turned to two.

Thanks nlgrav182... I meant "Wayfarer style copies", so I would have a pair of wild Oakleys, and some no-name Wayfarer copies when I want to go subtle.

I am set on Frogskins as I find the Wayfarer style very adaptable (and quite dashing :) ), it's just which colour.... I will take a look at the Grey Polarized lense, not one I have seen during my late night internet browsing so thanks for pointing that one out!

Oh, I am UK based, so Oakleyvault.com is off limits to me..

your best bet is black frames - i would get a pair of grey or subtle lenses, and then a spare pair of more "colorful" lenses... or, if youre going to buy right now, get yourself a pair of black frames with whatever lenses you like, and then order a pair of the sale acid frogskins for almost the same price as lenses!

Welcome!

I give it 4 weeks and you'll have at least 2 pairs. Trust me, I joined with only 1 pair in my collection now I'm sitting with 19.

Start with a black pair for everyday wear, either get grey lenses in it or what ever colour of lense you desire. Next buy what other pair/s you want. Simple :)
Oh, I am UK based, so Oakleyvault.com is off limits to me..

Whereabouts in the UK are you?

Thanks for your replies all... I like the idea of getting plain frames, and then having a few different lenses, some calm, some wild!!!.... I did give the Rossi ones a try today in a local opticians and loved the yellow iridium lenses..

Hi SpeakForYou... haha.. I can understand that, I can already feel the "necessity" to have two pairs growing.... I am midlands based, just north of birmingham... guess you are up in Scotland, this heatwave must be giving you a great chance to give your 19 pairs a spin. I had a look at your thread, some nice glasses there!

Hopefully I will be posting my first purchase up soon.

There's an Oakley Vault at Chesire Oaks Outlet. Shouldn't be too far from you. I usually drop into it on my way home from Birmingham when I'm down at Motorcycle Live.

PS Rossi Frogs are great! My first ever pair :)

Ah, Cheshire Oaks, yep, not too far away, thanks for that... I might need to convince my family we need a trip up to Chester :)

Are they the Rossi's in your signature pic?.. they look great

Ah, Cheshire Oaks, yep, not too far away, thanks for that... I might need to convince my family we need a trip up to Chester :)

Are they the Rossi's in your signature pic?.. they look great

Yeah that's them. I've got an unboxing vid of them and other Frogs on my Youtube channel. Search for AlfistiKid and you should find it.

Cheshire Oaks have got the Acid series and Rossi's atm. Rossi in £70 something. Was done last week at it. Also have GP75 ones. Can't remember what else they had.

Back