• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New To The Forums With Some X Metal Questions.

xmizacex

Oakley Beginner
Hello all, glad I have found these forums, seems like there are a ton of useful information. I have owned 6 pairs of Oakley glasses in probably the last 10 years, 2 of my newest acquisitions are some X-Squared, and a pair of Gascans.

I have a pair of 24k XX-Metal that are in dire need of repair. The gaskets in the nose piece are completely worn out and it feels like these things are going to break. These glasses are definently my babies. I have found some nose bridge gaskets on ebay, so I would like to attempt to repair them myself. Nothing else is in bad condition except for some of the 24k chipping on the arms and part of the nose piece. So the question is, how do the stifts come apart? I have read that they are fairly easy, but I cannot find a video or any documentation on dissasembly. I'd really like to find out first before I make a purchase. I will be doing the same thing on my Juliets that I have as well. The believe the same gaskets work for that frame as well, and I am going to try to look for the Blue Iridium polorized lenses for them too, these ones are in bad shape.

Any information anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!
xmizacex

Personally, I would send them to THE X-MAN if they are in need of a tune-up. He is very reasonable, does incredible work, and his turn around time is unbeatable. You can read about his services and check out some of his work here:

http://www.thexmancustoms.com/

If you want to do it yourself, good luck! I know there are members here who can help you with the proper info. However, if you haven't attempted it before and you end up f*#king up your expensive X-Metals, they will end up in the trash or going to see the X-Man anyway...

I may look into that. I'll probably just take and send both my XX and my Juliet's to him and just have it done by a professional. I'd like to have the frames of the Juliet's done a different color, but they aren't mine, they are my wife's. They are too small for my head anyway, lol, but in the collection non the less.

Thanks for the welcome!

2nd on that for sending to the xman especially since they are your "babies" if they were a beater and you plan on working on more than one or two pairs, it is not worth it to buy the specialized tool or craft your own for the nose bridge dis-assembly and replacement. also, the "ease" of the process is purely chance, the polished finish units sometimes are easier to remove but often, if they are well used & never serviced, the rivets can be really stuck.

Yep, I think I'm just going to send my XX and my Juliet's in just to get them done. The Juliet's are just starting to wiggle, but there must be nothing left of the gasket in my XX, they are terrible, I don't even wear them anymore, which is why I got my X Squared. But I prefer the XX, by far the better pair of glasses.

Back