• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New To The Site

Optimus

Oakley Beginner
Hello Oakley brahs, I just bought my first pair of sunglasses yesterday and first prescription frames about 2 weeks ago. I like Oakley but have some questions. I went to a local Oakley Vault and wanted big sunglasses that covered my eyebrows sort of like an NFL visor look.

I found the Radar Range but the attendant said he wouldn't recommend a lense that touches the cheek. I wanted them but figured he had a point. They were were touching my cheek and when I'd smile the glasses up rise up.

I ended up buying the Radar Path and love them. Yet, I'm looking for another pair of Oakleys. I think I'm addicted. I found the Radar Lock XL. I tried these on at sunglasses forum a few weeks ago and want to order them but does the attendant have a point? Should I not be glasses that touch my cheeks? I joined the site to gain as much knowledge about Oakley as possible.

Welcome to the forum!

As far as how the glasses touch your face - it's mostly personal preference. I don't mind when lenses touch my face, on a pair of M Frames or Radars for instance. My pairs with a lot more hours of use show signs of peeling where they do touch, from the skin oils sitting on the lens.

If you're using them for fashion and every day it shouldn't be much of an issue. For sports I would agree you don't want them touching your cheeks. They'll move around, as you noted, but it will also cut down on air circulation and increase the likelihood of fogging issues.

The Radar XL and Radarlock XL both extend the lens UPWARD. They do this to provide more peripheral vision for sports such as bike riding where the rider has their head tucked down but they're looking up - on a normal pair they would be looking into the frame, or at least have the frame be blocking some of their vision. The length of the lens is close in fit to the Pitch size.

If the Path fits you well, which is the shortest lens, and you don't have issue with it leaving a large gap at the bottom, I would think that the XL could still be too large for you.

If you want a pair of full-frame glasses that aren't sports oriented there are several styles that feature the "shield" lens (meaning one solid lens, not two individual). The biggest two that come to mind are the Batwolf and the Offshoot.

Best of luck with choosing your next pair! Pretty soon you'll realize you have more pairs than days of the week and you're well on your way to a large collection!

Welcome to the forum!

As far as how the glasses touch your face - it's mostly personal preference. I don't mind when lenses touch my face, on a pair of M Frames or Radars for instance. My pairs with a lot more hours of use show signs of peeling where they do touch, from the skin oils sitting on the lens.

If you're using them for fashion and every day it shouldn't be much of an issue. For sports I would agree you don't want them touching your cheeks. They'll move around, as you noted, but it will also cut down on air circulation and increase the likelihood of fogging issues.

The Radar XL and Radarlock XL both extend the lens UPWARD. They do this to provide more peripheral vision for sports such as bike riding where the rider has their head tucked down but they're looking up - on a normal pair they would be looking into the frame, or at least have the frame be blocking some of their vision. The length of the lens is close in fit to the Pitch size.

If the Path fits you well, which is the shortest lens, and you don't have issue with it leaving a large gap at the bottom, I would think that the XL could still be too large for you.

If you want a pair of full-frame glasses that aren't sports oriented there are several styles that feature the "shield" lens (meaning one solid lens, not two individual). The biggest two that come to mind are the Batwolf and the Offshoot.

Best of luck with choosing your next pair! Pretty soon you'll realize you have more pairs than days of the week and you're well on your way to a large collection!

Thanks for your reply. You out things I hadn't considered. I wanted them use them on daily basis to coach but my skin oils might ruin the lense over time and I didn't consider the fog. Very good points. I'll have to go back and try on some more frames to decide what to do.

Vented lenses go a long way in helping with fogging. So long as you don't see the vents when using them normally (otherwise you'll have hte sun right in your eyes potentially).

You can also buy lenses alone for the Radar frame. So you can add sizes and colors to the pair you have, and have 1 or 2 spares in the glasses case and swap to whatever is appropriate for the activity at hand.

XL does not allow you to do this with other sizes. The nose portion of the frame is longer to accommodate the taller lens, so only XL lenses will fit the XL frame. And while some modifying can be done, Radar lenses and Radarlock lenses do not jive from one model to another. So if you're looking for another pair and you get a Radarlock your existing lens and whatever new lens won't be swappable between frames.

Vented lenses go a long way in helping with fogging. So long as you don't see the vents when using them normally (otherwise you'll have hte sun right in your eyes potentially).

You can also buy lenses alone for the Radar frame. So you can add sizes and colors to the pair you have, and have 1 or 2 spares in the glasses case and swap to whatever is appropriate for the activity at hand.

XL does not allow you to do this with other sizes. The nose portion of the frame is longer to accommodate the taller lens, so only XL lenses will fit the XL frame. And while some modifying can be done, Radar lenses and Radarlock lenses do not jive from one model to another. So if you're looking for another pair and you get a Radarlock your existing lens and whatever new lens won't be swappable between frames.

Thank you for all this information. You've been extremely informative. I plan on buying a pair of RadarLock XL anyways.
I feel an addiction being born.

Back