• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New, Trying to Learn about X-Metal glasses (Juliet)

Not your best option for the above mentioned sports like running and biking. They are heavier than O matter (plastic) frames, and those sport specific O Matter frames are better suited for those activities. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, there are folks who have done many things in Metals, I'm just saying O Matter are more comfortable for active sports. I love metals, but I run in Split Jackets, Straight Jackets, or Flak Jackets. Get a pair of Metals, though. You won't regret it. I wear them everyday.
Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum.

Welcome aboard. You will love the juliets as a daily wear. But, for sports and fitness, O Matter may be a better choice. If things feel overwhelming, I reccomend picking out frames and lense colors that suit you. Unless, you are trying to impress others.

Hello. I've wore cheap plastic sunglasses for some time, while my friends have had nicer, higher quality Oakleys. I finally decided to grab a pair myself, went to the store and found nothing available like what my buddies had - everything was either bulky plastic or heavy metal-frames. I went back to my friends and asked what they had, to which they said X-Metal Juliets.

I've been doing some Googling, and want to confirm what I think I understand so far. X-Metals as they were made pre-2010 were a Titanium alloy line of frames that were lightweight and good for a variety of sports (I run and bike, so if they are light enough to not bounce while I move, that'd be great). The Juliet model hasn't been made in a number of years. Even if I was able to get my hands on a pair (I know there's a deals section on these forums, but for the moment I'm just seeing $300+ listings on ebay), Oakley may or may not be able to provide repair services should they be needed.

So, some questions. Is everything I said above accurate, or am I misunderstanding somewhere? I know they look good and feel comfortable, but is there a big advantage to these frames that makes it worth it to get something old and potentially not serviceable (gotta DIY repairs)? Why do you like them?

If I want to pursue this, I'll have to look through the Deals section to learn where/how to get a pair. I'm not even sure if Juliets would be the best option, because I don't know the 'old' models at all. Is there a way to learn about what is available? And after I learn about that, I'm going to have to get caught up on all these different kinds of lenses... it's an overwhelming amount of information.

Can anyone help me get started?

To answer your specific questions...

Original x-metals were produced from 1997 - 2012; Juliets from 1999 - 2012, making them the longest produced, and most popular, of the eight x-metal frames.

Though lightweight compared to the same thing if made from other metal options, they are a little heavier than o-matter / plastic. But the "three point fit", if the nosebridge is tuned and you're using t-shocks of an appropriate size for your head, will keep them from moving around.

$300+ is an accurate price range for common colorways, which is similar to original MSRP. You can sometimes find for less but they usually need some investment to bring up to speed so it balances out.

Oakley's tuneup services lately are unreliable, both with availability and quality, but there are several members here with a side-business providing these services, more reliably than Oakley. The most experienced and notable one is @THE X-MAN.

The biggest advantage of these is their durability. They're not invulnerable, but they can take a magnitude more abuse than any other sunglasses. But there's just something about them that can't be properly described without firsthand experience; you gotta try a pair.

Are Juliet's the best option? Well, they're the best x-metal starting point - their popularity and long production run mean they're the most available and affordable, relatively. Everybody's head shape, etc is different so YMMV. But start with them; love them, good to go. Don't, you can resell them and know in which direction to go based on your experience.

As far as what's available / the different colorways produced, please refer to the o-review database. The link that follows won't work directly but it will if you copy and paste it into your browser...

http://www.o-review.com/database_detail_model.php?ID=93&table_name=glasses

Welcome...

I prefer Radars and Half Jackets for sport, but for everything else I prefer my Juliets. Lots of good deals here and unlike ebay you can be pretty certain you are getting what you want.

Welcome btw :cool:

I wouldn't really recommend them for running, or biking, they are a bit too heavy and move around too much. I tried doing a bike race with some Juliets once after my luggage that had all my radars/jawbones was misrouted by the airline. I wore the Juliets on the plane so I still had those. They were moving around so much a had to throw them off in the grass along the road and go back later with the team car to find them. Aside from that the lenses and field of view are too small for cycling. You'd be much better off with a radar or something like that, at least for those sorts of activities.

I wouldn't really recommend them for running, or biking, they are a bit too heavy and move around too much. I tried doing a bike race with some Juliets once after my luggage that had all my radars/jawbones was misrouted by the airline. I wore the Juliets on the plane so I still had those. They were moving around so much a had to throw them off in the grass along the road and go back later with the team car to find them. Aside from that the lenses and field of view are too small for cycling. You'd be much better off with a radar or something like that, at least for those sorts of activities.
WOW.....you actually tossed your pair of Juliets in the grass and went to find them later? :shock:

Back