1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Squared-Ojunkie

Squared-Ojunkie Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member

Is it just me or dose anyone have an issue with the newer headlights on the new vehicles? I was wondering if anyone has tryed to wear there okay's at night & what lenses are the best?

Wavecloud likes this.
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. pistolpetefan23

pistolpetefan23 Oakley Expert Premium Member

I've posted about this before, but here's kind of what I've gone through:

- initially I tried yellow lenses from Revant for Flak's. Worked well, taking the harshness off oncoming headlights. I used these for 4-6 months, but got tired of changing lenses on the Flak and was worried about issues of constantly changing them and how it could effect frame.

- switched to Revant yellow lenses for Fast Jacket. Used these for a couple months with similar success. Did a hydrodip on the FJ's, and the aftermarket lenses got a little tight and harder to change out. Worried about scratching lenses trying to get them out or issues with trying to force them in.

- went to Oakley persimmon lenses for the Fast Jacket. Right away I noticed issues with ghosting from headlights and sign reflections. Also, obviously persimmon is a bit darker, though I felt it within an acceptable range to use. Used for 2 months, but got tired of the significant ghosting issues.

- went to Oakley yellow lenses for Split Jacket. Thought ghosting would be lessened, but unfortunately it wasn't. It was still significant. Used for 2-3 weeks and decided it was just too much to deal with.

- went to Walleva yellow lenses for Split Jacket 2 weeks ago. No ghosting issues with oncoming headlights, but for whatever reason, some minor issues with reflections from some signs. Much better than the OEM stuff though. Very happy with them, and will likely keep these as my go-to for night driving. Yellow takes the edge off oncoming headlights but obviously still enough light coming through to not be a danger.

So, those are my experiences, and recommendation.

Di245 likes this.
  3. Squared-Ojunkie

I kew there had to be others dealing with this issue :)
    I called Oakley CS department & they suggested angling lenses also, 00 Red iridium.

4. pistolpetefan23

pistolpetefan23 Oakley Expert Premium Member

I would not use anything lower than persimmon's 60% light transmission. I think it would be just too dark.

BTW, I drive an hour home from work every night, and during the winter months, it is always at night, so been dealing with it for a while obviously.

5. Squared-Ojunkie

Thanks for your info :prankster:

6. Wavecloud

Wavecloud Oakley Expert Premium Member

Yes - I cant stand these new LED headlamps!

I use Black Violet Iridium, HI Persimmon or Yellow for night driving.... By far the nicest is BV Iridium. The only lens that doesnt 'ghost' with headlamps is Black Violet.

Not many frames offer BV and most are for women!

I have a -

Why 3 - Black Violet
    Teaspoon - Black Violet
    Crosshair S - Black Violet
    Minute - Violet

I am also looking out for a Warden Violet....

7. qBan

qBan The Hijinxer

I recently got walleva yellow lenses for a straight jacket and I'm very pleased so far

8. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

Isn't the light trans % a little low on that, 28%?

Wavecloud likes this.
  9. Wavecloud

Wavecloud Oakley Expert Premium Member

Yeah - it is low, but just enough to get rid of harsh 'manmade' glare and you cam still see in the dark while driving down a country lane.

10. Dallas O Hog

Dallas O Hog O.C.D. Oakley Collecting Disorder haha Premium Member Lifetime Member

Anyone else have any imput? @OakleyFrankFMJ @kronin323 @Chris A Hardaway

All my lenses are dark so trying to get something that isn't as dark and I stay with O lenses but if I need to do another manufacturer I can.

OakleyFrankFMJ likes this.