• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Night time driving lens

I take no issue with headlights, but choose to wear Oaks at night anyway.
I've had good results with VR50 Gold iridium.
At 35%, it takes the edge off the headlights but lets in sufficient light to be comfortable for me at night.
I don't get "ghosting" with it, unlike Ruby Clear, and to a lesser extent, Titanium Clear.

Anyone else have any imput? @OakleyFrankFMJ @kronin323 @Chris A Hardaway

All my lenses are dark so trying to get something that isn't as dark and stay with O lenses.

I'd recommend yellow. That's what other manufacturers recommend as well, it has a high light transmission (but I wouldn't wear in the day personally). I also would recommend (if you can find) a High Intensity Persimmon with its 55% VLT.

I wouldn't recommend driving with Black Violet, definitely seems too dark. Especially for someone middle aged or older (the light transmission of our eyes decreases with age, ie cataracts). This lens will decrease your visual acuity at night (safety issues there).

What do you think @kronin323 ?
PS, HI Persimmon like cool for fog and daylight as well.

I've used Yellow Oakley lenses and have issues with ghosting from oncoming headlights as well as sign reflections. Same, or worse, with Persimmon. Using aftermarket (Walleva I believe) Yellow lenses for Split Jacket now, but still have some ghosting. Would love to try something like Black Violet or Ruby Clear, but it's so old and limited to only a few frames.

Personally, though I'll wear Oaks in any sort of light condition including pouring rain, I don't wear them while driving at night, full-on dark. Any tint will have some reduction of light trans, and IMO that's not a good thing.

Regarding the prizm questions, road no way. Maybe trail but I think that's still too dark for night.

If I were to choose a lens for nighttime driving, I'd choose yellow or HI yellow. But not having used them for such I can't speak to the ghosting that's been mentioned.

If oncoming headlights are too bright, I use a trick I learned back when I first started driving - I look at the lane stripe to the right side of my lane just in front of my truck. It keeps you from having to look directly at the headlights and still gives you something to reference your steering.

Yeah with oncoming lights or people behind, the glare can be brutal and since I have a few spare frames figured I would try and see what was available

Latest Posts

Back