• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Nightmarishly Rare Scalpel Uncovered From Vault Store.

Romeo Van Frogskinstein

I should Work at Oakley
England
I was recently in discussion with the Vault Store in Portsmouth when I was informed they had in stock the Radar - Polished Black - Slate (Path) 24-326J for £75, "fine", I thought, one of only a tiny handful of Japanese exclusives I don't have so I promptly visited yesterday to get the pair and look around. Steel Antix, £50, that'll do, Probations - Polished Gold-Dark Grey and Polished Black-Warm Grey at £55 apiece, "I'll have these" I thought, which will inspire the hunt for the remaining three I will need to have the complete set of six, then some Scalpels, Locog, Brown Smoke, Brown Sugar, all worth getting and at a great deal each pair and then....looking at a shelf with glasses all along it....and among the Scalpels... is...that....a....text Scalpel? no doubt frowning, confused, fixated, oblivious to all around, I pick up the pair.. no...it...can't be!! This does not exist! this is an unreleased pair! a pair with a sku, set up, that I researched, and found no evidence it exists, it is....it is that pair!! After ploughing through memory, trying to tune in to my information at home, I concluded that indeed this is a pair that must rank among the ultimate rare official releases of all time, from the depths of the most obscure, from the darkest, most hidden corners from under the underground.....SCALPEL - BLACK/SILVER GHOST TEXT - OO BLUE POLARIZED OO9095-12. It had a white generic Polarized box (the correct one) but for the White Chrome pair, even the Vaults own label said G30 Polarized in error!(I have replaced with a mint exact box I had spare) I hail this as a masterpiece, a true hidden and lost relic all but unknown. I had researched Scalpel part codes some time ago, they range from OO9095-01 to 19. Most are normal releases but three anomalies, this pair, then Polished Black - OO Black P Livestrong #13, which I know some people on here are aware of but as far as I can make out this one is hardly offered and I can't say I know any UK dealer who had it, and #17 was not issued, no frame/lens attributed to that sku.
The Scalpel is seldom mentioned on here, and seems low in popularity in comparison to many models, but I have a huge passion for them, the shape, detail, persona they exude, and above all the way the icon, like some meteor flying through space, seems to have excavated it's way through the arm at that angle to stop at the orbital. I have 11 of the 18 pairs and will look for 3 others, the remaining few all to similar for me to really nail a complete set, but the acquisition of the Text pair is perhaps one of the most interesting and surprising finds I have ever had. There must be a few, it can't be the only pair, so my advice is, wherever you are, try a Vault Store, in case a recent distribution has seen them at these locations and for a tiny time period it can be captured. Let me know if you find one, I am curious to hear of any other examples of the piece. As an adjunct to this thread, anybody have Split Jacket - Polished Black - OO Blue Polarized OO9099-08? It does exist, I do have one myself but it has the same lens as the Text Scalpel and is another hellishly obscure glass that must have seen the light of day for a nanosecond.

www.oakleyforum.com/oakley-sunglass...black-silver-ghost-text-oo-blue-oo9095-a.html

That was BEAUTIFUL! :thumb:
I feel like you were an archeologist combing through the lost treasures. :smile:
Congrats on finding that pair!

I was at a Vault today. Although I wasn't looking for one....I didn't see a text scalpel? Was it in their DE case?

The Text Scalpel was among a row of glasses along a shelf that customers could freely access as part of the Vaults 'returns stock', it was in a box for the White Chrome Scalpel and was their only pair. They did not have a misplaced correct box elsewhere so there is no label for it that states DE or otherwise. The pair is luckily a mint example now in a perfect white generic polarized box with no label. I imagine from your post you will be back at the Vault Store when it opens tomorrow morning to look for a pair! I had entered that store yesterday knowing about it, believing it never existed, and came away with 8 pairs feeling euphoric, aware that I had acquired a behemoth monster and additionally feeling the buzz as I am just 3 pairs short of 900, and with 4 due in the post any day the week ahead looks like the high will be retained.

Congrats on the find, would love to see a pic. I like the Scalpel's, have 2 pair black with BIP and the Ducati.

Fantastic find. I don't think that the Vaults over here know what they have half the time when it comes to rare frames. I'd have a look around the one near York but they were charging more than retail on some of their glasses last time I was in. Won't be long before 900 now. I have to agree about the Scalpel being underated too. I love the two I have, LiveStrong & MFL.

The Text Scalpel was among a row of glasses along a shelf that customers could freely access as part of the Vaults 'returns stock', it was in a box for the White Chrome Scalpel and was their only pair. They did not have a misplaced correct box elsewhere so there is no label for it that states DE or otherwise. The pair is luckily a mint example now in a perfect white generic polarized box with no label. I imagine from your post you will be back at the Vault Store when it opens tomorrow morning to look for a pair! I had entered that store yesterday knowing about it, believing it never existed, and came away with 8 pairs feeling euphoric, aware that I had acquired a behemoth monster and additionally feeling the buzz as I am just 3 pairs short of 900, and with 4 due in the post any day the week ahead looks like the high will be retained.

LOL....if the Vault was close enough I would be back tomorrow. I may have to wait til next weekend. If I were to call them tomorrow and ask about them, I have a feeling the staff would not really have a clue what I was talking about and simply say "no....we don't have them".

LOL....if the Vault was close enough I would be back tomorrow. I may have to wait til next weekend. If I were to call them tomorrow and ask about them, I have a feeling the staff would not really have a clue what I was talking about and simply say "no....we don't have them".

ask them to look up the SKU in their system, maybe they'll have one floating around

Latest Posts

Back