• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

No love for X metal/ruby juliets?

They are my all time favorites, I love them and have two pairs. I have one 1st gen XM Penny with the deep dark ruby lenses. Wish those old school lenses would come back. The only way to really get them is if you find them with a frame.
Me too,actually I don't know whats the big deal with the manufacturing of the Ruby lenses,....my friend just go SPY+ glasses ,he got with black frame and dark violet hue red lenses in it...I mean if other brands can do tis colour of lense dunno why Oakley is not able to do it....btw my friend designer Daniel Chae just finished his graduation Car design project and was sponsored by Oakley and the car he did had Prototype iridium colour combo of the glass....very cool like almost rainbow :) will post pics soon

Interesting!! I agree with you...why can't Oakley make the Ruby lenses we all love so much? I mean...I know they no longer make Juliet lenses, and I think it's silly because there is a HUGE market for them. When you have collectors spending over $100 for a Big Taco lens, they pay more money to have them cut, it's a clear sign there is a market for them. I know guys that ONLY wear XM glasses. Me...aside from XM frames, I wear SW 2.0, HJ 2.0, and Carbon Blades. Out of all the new glasses out now, I like the Blades the most. They are incredibly light...and offer more lens coverage than the HJ 2.0 glasses to. And I can get away wearing the Blades with formal attire. Like I said earlier, I have the Ferrari ones, but want to get the black and the blue ones as well. MAYBE the O+ polar red iridium ones as well...but I like the polar iridium ruby ones just as much, if not better. I just prefer all black when having to dress formal like with a suit. MAYBE 24K lenses to match a gold watch or chrome lenses to match a polished MM watch. I like my stuff to match as much as possible...yeah, weird like that. lol

Interesting!! I agree with you...why can't Oakley make the Ruby lenses we all love so much? I mean...I know they no longer make Juliet lenses, and I think it's silly because there is a HUGE market for them. When you have collectors spending over $100 for a Big Taco lens, they pay more money to have them cut, it's a clear sign there is a market for them. I know guys that ONLY wear XM glasses. Me...aside from XM frames, I wear SW 2.0, HJ 2.0, and Carbon Blades. Out of all the new glasses out now, I like the Blades the most. They are incredibly light...and offer more lens coverage than the HJ 2.0 glasses to. And I can get away wearing the Blades with formal attire. Like I said earlier, I have the Ferrari ones, but want to get the black and the blue ones as well. MAYBE the O+ polar red iridium ones as well...but I like the polar iridium ruby ones just as much, if not better. I just prefer all black when having to dress formal like with a suit. MAYBE 24K lenses to match a gold watch or chrome lenses to match a polished MM watch. I like my stuff to match as much as possible...yeah, weird like that. lol

sure I agree,the market for X metals is there,but honestly speaking I thing in the eyes of the Oakley employees the X metals are past ....
when I worked in Mercedes advanced design studio,I know that couple of our colleagues from the US advanced team went to work for Oakley.....I talked recently with one of my ex colleagues that works as a product designer at Oakley and after I told him I have OTT and Medusa,he was very surprised and said that the designers at Oakley even don't have these that these are very rare.....I am just saying that Oakley designers and mostly car designers-like me and they looking in future more that in the past....they are not all of them the X metals/Romeo/OTT/medusa fanatics imho...

I agree...but if these nickle and dime companies can make good money making 3rd market lenses and keep their heads above water, if Oakley were to come in, use their technology and smack their name on the packaging...I guarantee stock prices would jump. Yes, it doesn't really make much sense to make lenses for glasses they no longer produce. But speaking of using cars for analogies, there are third market companies making parts for older cars that are not currently being made. Yes, there is a lot more money involved in that. But in this case, we are simply talking about Oakley uploading an old file into the CNS machine to cut lenses to a different shape. It's not a risk and they can ask for $200 a lens. Take me for example....or any other X-Metal nut. If I found out that Oakley was making Ruby Polar Iridium lenses for the Juliet and the asking price was $150...I'd certainly pick up a pair. And if the started offering Prizm lenses for the X-Metals...instead of buying donor lenses and getting them cut and spending a fortune doing all that...I'd much rather get them direct from Oakley. Getting a sure fit, different colors and what not to pick from, etc. Personally, I think there is a huge market for them. And hey...you can take it one step further and bring back the Juliets and the other big selling X-Metals. Why not??

you can take it one step further and bring back the Juliets and the other big selling X-Metals. Why not??

They won't bring them back because of production cost and the dangers of working with X-Metal. It might work if they use their current concept of "X-Metal" as a design theory rather than an actual metal, and make them out of C5 or plain titanium. I just think it would probably be like a Juliet 2 or something. Not exactly the same, but similar.

I agree with you guys I woud buy brand new Ruby lenses,or Romeos,or all the great models from past...honestly I really miss some cool O matter active frames like Splice or Minute...the new O matter frames are too generic to me... :-/ ,
Honestly same as VW group keeps producing Bugatti because of it represents the best of what is possible-even they loose lots of money on each Veyron sold.....but they are financing Bugatti by making money on cheaper cars like VW or Skoda...same Oakley should keep X metal line up with Titanium and even if they loose money on each pair,they should do it for sake of having some top product people are looking up to for representing what is possible!
but as we know now Oakley is owned and part of Corporation and they care about profits now...

I agree with you guys I woud buy brand new Ruby lenses,or Romeos,or all the great models from past...honestly I really miss some cool O matter active frames like Splice or Minute...the new O matter frames are too generic to me... :-/ ,
Honestly same as VW group keeps producing Bugatti because of it represents the best of what is possible-even they loose lots of money on each Veyron sold.....but they are financing Bugatti by making money on cheaper cars like VW or Skoda...same Oakley should keep X metal line up with Titanium and even if they loose money on each pair,they should do it for sake of having some top product people are looking up to for representing what is possible!
but as we know now Oakley is owned and part of Corporation and they care about profits now...

I agree 100%....great analogy by the way! ;)

Harry

Back