• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Nose Couple Tightness Level

godzen

Oakley Expert
Seattle, WA
So guys, what's the point of making the nose coupler tighter than original "factory tight?" I've opened up several brand new juliets/XS and all of them have a slight flex at the couplers which I considered "factory tight." I see people here bragging about their custom tune-up as being super rigid tight but doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the nose coupler flex? Just an assessment, haven't really done any hands on testing...

say that in a year when you've wore them out...hehehehe

the flex couplers are incorporated because titanium doesn't really flex, so as you put them on the noggin they can move a bit.my idea works nice because they stay tight on the head, they still flex but not as mushy as factory. I wear mine in the pool and had sweat all over them for almost 2 years now and still, nice and tight. I kind of look at it as nothing good can come from loose parts .just because Oakley designers had an idea doesn't mean its the "end all beat all" idea. Like Jim said "everything in the world can and will be made better"
that's only my opinion and im stickin to it.

say that in a year when you've wore them out...hehehehe

the flex couplers are incorporated because titanium doesn't really flex, so as you put them on the noggin they can move a bit.my idea works nice because they stay tight on the head, they still flex but not as mushy as factory. I wear mine in the pool and had sweat all over them for almost 2 years now and still, nice and tight. I kind of look at it as nothing good can come from loose parts .just because Oakley designers had an idea doesn't mean its the "end all beat all" idea. Like Jim said "everything in the world can and will be made better"
that's only my opinion and im stickin to it.

that does make sense. thanks for the input

I see no benefit with having the flex couplers other than aesthetics. My guess is that the flex couplers were incorporated into the design as an extra mechanism to absorb the stress every time the arms are over-extended. But I think the side rubbers do a fine job doing that. I've worn my Penny for 11 years and have had the flex coupler adjusted twice. I would rather have a really tight coupler and not have to worry about needing a tune up for many years. The less maintenance, the better. X-Man refurbished my beat up R2 and he did an awesome job on the coupler.

I've opened up several brand new juliets/XS and all of them have a slight flex at the couplers which I considered "factory tight."
Later manufactured Juliets seemed looser towards the end. Both of my 24K Juliets were sloppy right out of the box and the Infinite Hero plasmas seemed loose to me. And others too, ironically our own forum member Infinite Hero calls a degree of slop "Infinite Hero" tight as a reference to how the latter Juliets left. And they don't get tighter, they only get looser from there and like to fall off your face. I was going to say "fall off your face when you bend over" but I know you guys and I'm gonna make you work harder than that for a Brokeback Mountain blast...

Like Jim said "everything in the world can and will be made better"

Yeah, did he say that to you when you met him in person and he asked YOU for YOUR business card? Epic...

I feel the same way. Xman does a great job, but they're almost TOO tight. They're made to flex for a reason
No doubt that they start out tight but they break-in like OEM breaks in too. So if it starts tight it will stay tighter longer, otherwise you get this:
I've worn my Penny for 11 years and have had the flex coupler adjusted twice. I would rather have a really tight coupler and not have to worry about needing a tune up for many years. The less maintenance, the better.
"If it ain't tight, it ain't right"
I'm wearing one of Mark's fixed pairs today and they are still (super) tight after a year.

I'm with you carguy. I'm wearing my xx that I redone and it's looser now then when I got it a few weeks ago. As long as the rubber doesn't break down they should be fine. I'm just saying, if I got a mars redone, I wouldn't even be able to try and put then on because there is no flex.

later Juliet's are looser because the tabs on the orbitals are shorter with a bigger radius on them, thus creating much less surface area, they definitely changed the die over the years. when I redo a mars or first gen frames the tabs are long and square and very tight with my rubber. Also my rubber contacts all the way around instead of just front and back like the oem geometry.

Also my rubber contacts all the way around instead of just front and back like the oem geometry.
I remember our conversation at RED where you told me that you had improved the flex coupler rubbers by adding full coverage all the way around the tab rather than front and back.