1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. music_man185

music_man185 Oakley Beginner

i have 3 pairs of oakleys. all black iridium lenses. 2 polarized, 1 non polarized. i've noticed a time or two that when looking through the polarized lenses, i still catch a pretty sharp glare. usually sunlight reflecting from a car window. one day i was at home, and the sun was reflecting from the window of my truck in the driveway causing a big glare. i looked at it through my polarized lenses, and then my non polarized lenses. i couldn't tell a difference. i read on this forum of people praising polarized lenses and how they cut out 100% of the glare, but i'm not sure i'm seeing it. am i missing something?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

The polarized filters cut out glare from one direction. They're set up in glasses to block the glare coming up from water, road, snow, etc and are a godsend on sunny days when the roads are wet or out on the lake, snow and so on. The Iridium helps cut glare from other angles.

That's why the polarized filters on camera lenses rotate, so you can match the angle of the glare to the filter's set angle.

Next time you catch a sharp spot of glare, rotate your head a bit and you'll see the glare change intensity as the polarized filter better matches the angle of the light.

3. music_man185

so next time i catch a glare, from a car window for example, i should rotate my head and it will go away?

4. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

Yes and no. If you're driving or walking around I'm not saying you should tilt your head around to try and kill off the glare. Just try it and you'll see the difference and how the polarized filter works.

If the glare is painful avoid looking at it.

5. music_man185

ok. i should have some good opportunity's to test it out in the next few days. it is snowing right now in the area i live, and we are expected to get up to 8 inches. so when the sun comes out, there will be a lot of chances for glare off the snow.

6. Herbsley

Herbsley Royal Duke of Hijinx

If the next pic you post of yourself is in a neck-brace we'll be sure to blame Rustpot.
    :smile:

7. del518

del518 I have a few pair.....

:wink:
    Send that snow my way! I am tired of skiing on the made made stuff.

8. music_man185

lol :smile:

i know what you mean! i've been waiting for snow all year! hopefully i can get out and snowboard a little before its all gone.