• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Noticed A Lot Of VR28 Fans Here, School Me Please.

NoLifeLeft

Oakley Beginner
I couldn't help but notice that VR28 seems to have its own following around here. I've never paid much attention to it, so would someone kindly educate me on what I may be missing out on.

Also, how much difference is there between the regular, Black, Blue and Gold Iridium versions of VR28?

VR28 is a very pleasant contrast lens. On darker days where you wouldn't traditionally wear a dark pair of sunglasses you may look to the cloud-dulled sky and wince or squint a little bit.

Put a set of VR28 on and it's like wearing dark sunglasses on a bright day. The edge is taken off.

The base color itself enhances certain colors in the spectrum. If you're not used to wearing them it will look weird at first, walking outside and noticing a strange vibrancy to certain colors. But it feels good.

Wear VR28 on a bright day and it doesn't quite take the edge off enough, but you get the full effect of the contrast and what it can do.

I enjoy VR28 over any other contrast lens Oakley offers. It's just not practical to wear on bright days, and it's a bit much to dedicate a pair of glasses to a niche tint. Which is why you see it more often on sports pairs where you'd be able to swap the lens. So most people who don't own multiple pairs would likely either choose a standard black lens, or something stylish like Fire or Jade.

The Iridium versions are darker lenses, but I feel like some of the contrast is lost and the effect of the color is lessened. The color is the color of the iridium added to the top of the lens.

VR28 black iridium, and blue iridium are probably the most common.

Not sure if this is a great place to ask this or if there is another thred but... How does the VR28 compare to the OO BIP. I had a pair of scalpels that had these and they seemed to be a lot lighter then a normal BIP.

OO BIP has 10% light transmission. BIP has 9% transmission. Not that much of a difference really. VR28 Black Polarized is the darkest VR28 variant, at 10%, so that one would be very similar, except you will get the yellow/brownish hue that VR28 lenses offer. Standard VR28 is a totally different lens with 28% light transmission.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of the VR28 line. I mean, they're OK and everything, but if people want something in the 30% transmission range, I recommend G30 over VR28. The rosey/pinkish hue is so much nicer to look through, and the lenses look better from the outside, IMO.

I've been wearing Oakleys since probably '96 or so and owned a ton of pairs throughout the years. Not once did I ever wear VR28 lenses. About 6 weeks ago I ordered a pair of Jawbones and they came with Grey Vented lenses. I went into my local Vault and asked if they had any replacement lenses and all they had was the VR28 and Fire. I wasn't even sold on the VR28 but I wanted Polarized so I got them. They are hands down my favorite lens.

Rustpot pretty much hit the nail on the head. I wear them when I run/walk which is like a trail in a wooded area. The first time I had them on, I couldn't get over how beautiful everything looked from the trees to the sky; it almost looked 3D. I caught myself just staring off into the the woods and whatnot just in awe. I'm pissed I waited so long to try them but I never cared for the actually color of the lens. I just traded my BIP in my Juliets for VR28BIP which I have never worn but I know I'm going to love them.

It is a fantastic lens and highly recommend if you never tried them. I was actually going to start a thread about how great they are but I never did. Just wish I would of taken the plunge a long time ago.

Last edited:
I have a pair of vr28 Black Irid. Polarized in my Jawbones as well as a few regular vr28's in other pairs of glasses(Gascan, Fives and Juliets) and i can tell the difference between the two, i prefer the Polarized alot more than the non polarized the colors just appear to be alot better, the vr28's are my goto pair on foggy/overcast mornings and sometimes even sunny days although usually i will use Ice/BI/Rubys then. I am the opposite of NiGHTSx2 actually and don't like staring through my G30 Polarized my radarlocks have the rose base tint it has seems to give me headaches if i wear them more than 30 mins so i tend to just use my jade lenses for those, but that's the great thing about Oakley as opposed to other brands you have such a wide range of options to tailor any pair of glasses to you're liking.

I have been debating on if I should try to get myself a pair of the Alinghi Hijinx and I was not sure because I have never used the VR28's before but after hearing you guys I think I might want to pick those up. To bad I just put some money into a pair of propaganda's. Anyone looking for a pair of those ? lol

I have been debating on if I should try to get myself a pair of the Alinghi Hijinx and I was not sure because I have never used the VR28's before but after hearing you guys I think I might want to pick those up. To bad I just put some money into a pair of propaganda's. Anyone looking for a pair of those ? lol
want some science fuel cells >_>

What have you guys found with Blue iridium VR28?
I dont mean to hijack this post, but how does it compare to normal VR28 and black iridium VR28?

For the above poster (nights2x) , OO Black iridium is really a G40 based lens, so its more of a rose pink made darker with black iridium coating instead VR28 is more red/brown based.

Latest Posts

Back