• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Noticed A Lot Of VR28 Fans Here, School Me Please.

The current Blue is a VR28 lens with a light blue iridium coating. A good lens in between normal VR28 and the darker VR28 Black Iridium.

People criticize it for not having a consistent iridium coating, which allows your eyes to be seen more easily than a darker lens, but it's still a very solid lens.

Up here in the PNW, the VR28BIP is an excellent daily wear lens. On days like today where it is cloudy now, but will burn off and be sunny later, it is perfect. On completely cloudy days, the Jade or Ruby lenses are great. I also have a pair of Ice Polarized, but they get very little face time. Too dark and odd color. Makes everything look sterile.
If I still lived down south, I probably wouldn't like the VR28BIP for a daily wear lens, but the sun isn't too bright up here, so on a full sun day, it works out well.
As far as the color, it is in my opinion, the best Oakley lens to look through, (close to a tie with the Jade lens). It has a lot of contrast, but it brings out colors in a pleasant way. The only lens I prefer more than this is the Cognac Polarized by Oliver Peoples.

What have you guys found with Blue iridium VR28?
For the above poster (nights2x) , OO Black iridium is really a G40 based lens, so its more of a rose pink made darker with black iridium coating instead VR28 is more red/brown based.
Sorry, should have noted that OO BIP is a G40 base. I was just saying that the light transmission percentage is very close to BIP. There is a difference looking through both lenses, but they're both quite dark.

Now VR28 Blue Iridium is an amazing lens. The iridium coating is just amazing (if you don't mind people being able to see your eyes). VR28 Blue Iridium and Blue Iriidum (not Ice) are almost the same lens. I'm refering to the current Blue Iridium on the VR28 base, not Grey. Both are VR28 bases, with a similar looking coating, but there is a 11% difference in the transmission percentages. However, I can't really tell the difference between the two lenses if you drop both on the table in front of me.

nightsx2 - it would seem both VR28 Blue iridium and Blue Iridium are both 15% light transmission (according to oakley web site). Is there a difference? OrAl is blue iridium just replacing vr28 blue iridium as blue iridium seems to have a "cooler' outward look and I've seen it more in newer releases.
Anyone use both?

Anyone have experience with normal vr28 versus G30 for general use? Both are approx 28-30% light transmission.
Is G30 only golf orientated? Is it good for other sports and general life in medium light.?

Anyone have experience with normal vr28 versus G30 for general use? Both are approx 28-30% light transmission.
Is G30 only golf orientated? Is it good for other sports and general life in medium light.?
I have both. G30 handles bright light a little better, despite being a lighter tint. The iridium helps cut glare, so that's likely why.

I like the color of VR28 more. It feels like it recolors the world less, and adds a slight brown hue while accenting colors. G30 is more pinkish and is a gentler tint, but the way colors are accented isn't as intense in my opinion. And I think the brown of the VR lenses is a bit more pleasant and easier to adjust to.

My JBR's with VR28 are my favorite everyday wear pair. Rustpot pretty much hit it on the head, unless its super bright or I'm on the water, VR28 is the best choice hands down.

nightsx2 - it would seem both VR28 Blue iridium and Blue Iridium are both 15% light transmission (according to oakley web site). Is there a difference?
Blue Iridium is 15% and VR28 Blue is 26%...at least according to O-Review and my little lens cheat sheet that Dann handed out at the RED event. I use both Blue Iridium and VR28 Blue Iridium, and I can't really tell the difference between the two.
Adding on to what Rustpot said, I like G30 better because it makes greens pop. Driving through the forrest is an amazing experience with any of the G-series lenses. If you can find it, try G20 or G20 Black. VR28 has increased contrast, but I find that browns and yellows are more vivid with that lens.

Oh yeah, and that was my 1,000th post! Woo-hoo!

thanks Nights,
As for the light transmission, on the Oakley website (lens tints) , they list both of them as 15% .. I am hardy an expert or know-it-all.

I was going ask .. is the G20 the same idea as the g30, just slightly darker? or does it have some different properties?
Why is G20 so uncommon / unpopular?

thanks Nights,
As for the light transmission, on the Oakley website (lens tints) , they list both of them as 15% .. I am hardy an expert or know-it-all.

I was going ask .. is the G20 the same idea as the g30, just slightly darker? or does it have some different properties?
Why is G20 so uncommon / unpopular?
You got it! G20 is just a darker variant of G30 that you can wear on bright sunny days. As to why it isn't more widely available, I have no clue. You mainly find the lens in sport frames (HJ, Flak, Radar, M-Frame all had it), and some of the women-specific releases.

I have no idea why the info on the web site differs from the lens guide they have in the O-Stores. There has been some discussion about these discrepancies on the forum already.

Back