• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley 1st Gen Ruby Question

selannefan1

Oakley Enthusiast
Hi all! So I got a new pair of first gen rubies for $280 today! Found them from a lady who used to own a sunglasses/surfing shop in the early 2000's. She is selling a couple of oakleys but these were the only ones of interest to me. When I took them out of the box I was gobsmacked by how purple they actually are (pics really dont do the lenses justice). The arms are tight, no scratches on the xmetal (except below the left lense where I think its a manufacturing hiccup looks like), lenses are in absolute perfect condition. It seemed like these had been in storage without seeing the light for like 100 years.

The weird part is the arms serial number is very faded, it reads X021813. If I compare this to my X000787's they are ALOT harder to see (I even had trouble with it showing up in photos).

My Q is this: has anyone seen this before in the xmetal range (faded serial numbers)? Can this happen due to storage etc? I have uploaded some pics so you can see.

e6ugades.jpg

be6aja4u.jpg

uhu3ahab.jpg

Thanks all!
JP

Last edited:
I have a x22*** and a x17** lol cant remember the serials.

There doesnt seem to be any difference in the way the serial was inscribed.

The only problem I had with fading serials was on a titanium gold iridium pair which starts with T****.

Those seems to be notorious for having fading serials.

Schenk

My TI/Gold Juliet that I sold to Cargo has a serial that pretty much can only be seen with a magnifying glass and bright light. It's a 1st Gen.... I questioned buying it because the seller said there was no serial.....but it's there.

Congrats on the purchase dude, but my very first x serialed ruby pair was more faded than the one I currently have. Then again the first ones I owned were poor, pre owned, gymnastic condition (flexible as hell). Hope this helped.

thanks for the replies all.

@ hereispunishment, yeh ive had pairs that ive used wayyyyyy long ago that had serials faded due to sweat, and daily wear etc, but I've never seen this in a brand spanking new pair. i have a feeling that somehow the "gloss" of the serial number has faded from being in the box for so long or something of the sort, but I wonder if anyone can confirm this?

I got a much better photo with the flash, you can clearly see it in this shot. The more I look at it, the more it seems to be unlike other serial numbers where there are "colored"/burnt on. This is almost engraved by a laser it looks like. Anyone elses xmetals have this trait on their serial numbers?
buzy5y5u.jpg

That's the way my mars are if I remember correctly. Sent 'em home, so can't check.

I have only experienced this on the ti/gold combination as stated above. I don't see it as any detriment though as the serial number is there and correct to the glasses.

Back