• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley and Dillon Collaboration

Soooo, I did a little research in that oleophobic crap and this is what came up...

No wonder my fingerprints and smudges disappeared from the Dillon lens...

Oleophobic coating – what it is, how to clean your phone, what to do if the coating wears off

By this day, you've probably seen the term "oleophobic coating" on some tech-selling sites – it's sometimes mentioned in phone specs, while at other times screen protector manufacturers will boast about it on their product's page. But what exactly is this strangely-named substance, what does it do, and is it really important?

Well, it is. In reality, all modern smartphones have a thin glaze of the material covering their screens, which is probably why you don't see it toted so often on product pages, unless the manufacturer is really reaching for positive features to list. See, "oleophobic" is a word used to describe a type of material, which lacks an affinity to oils, ergo – it keeps fingerprint spots off of a glass panel. The idea to use such a coating entered the world of mobile phones with the iPhone 3GS, which was the first handset to be covered with this type of solution.

Oleo-what now?

Oleophobic coating provides a certain amount of finger smudge resistance to your smartphone's display; it doesn't make it fingerprint proof, mind you, but keeps the grease at bay, not allowing it to adhere to the glass. This is why a simple wipe with a soft cloth will often leave the smartphone looking brand new, without the use of any extra cleaning solutions. Usually, if any normal glass has fingerprints on it, trying to wipe it with nothing but a cloth will bring much different results – the grease spreads across the surface and just follows the cloth's strokes, without coming off completely – it generally needs some kind of cleaning solution to be completely cleaned off.

The oleophobic layer also has a slightly slippery feel to it, which makes our gadgets feel slick to the touch. This also helps the glass be more scratch resistant, as a reduced friction will cause dangerous materials to slide off the surface, rather than damaging it. Ever wondered why brand new smartphone screens feel a bit more slippery (in the good way), compared to the one your 1- or 2-year old handset? Well, the fresh layer of oleophobic coating is the answer. It, unfortunately, wears off with time. How long it would take for your specific screen to shed off its grease protection could be highly individual. First, it depends on amount and type of usage; second, each human's body has varying levels of acidity to their sweat, and third, the method of bonding the coating to the glass, and the type of polymer used, is entirely up to every single manufacturer, and thus – we have coatings of different qualities that can last for various time periods, and may feel slightly different to the touch (though, the quality issue is mostly normalized, as most manufacturers use Gorilla Glass, which comes with its own coat). Generally, an oleophobic coat should be able to last a smartphone's typical 2-year life cycle, however, misuse, poor quality, or just bad conditions could cause it to wear out within months.

Oakley - why you no do this !?!?

Soooo, I did a little research in that oleophobic crap and this is what came up...

No wonder my fingerprints and smudges disappeared from the Dillon lens...

Oleophobic coating – what it is, how to clean your phone, what to do if the coating wears off

By this day, you've probably seen the term "oleophobic coating" on some tech-selling sites – it's sometimes mentioned in phone specs, while at other times screen protector manufacturers will boast about it on their product's page. But what exactly is this strangely-named substance, what does it do, and is it really important?

Well, it is. In reality, all modern smartphones have a thin glaze of the material covering their screens, which is probably why you don't see it toted so often on product pages, unless the manufacturer is really reaching for positive features to list. See, "oleophobic" is a word used to describe a type of material, which lacks an affinity to oils, ergo – it keeps fingerprint spots off of a glass panel. The idea to use such a coating entered the world of mobile phones with the iPhone 3GS, which was the first handset to be covered with this type of solution.

Oleo-what now?

Oleophobic coating provides a certain amount of finger smudge resistance to your smartphone's display; it doesn't make it fingerprint proof, mind you, but keeps the grease at bay, not allowing it to adhere to the glass. This is why a simple wipe with a soft cloth will often leave the smartphone looking brand new, without the use of any extra cleaning solutions. Usually, if any normal glass has fingerprints on it, trying to wipe it with nothing but a cloth will bring much different results – the grease spreads across the surface and just follows the cloth's strokes, without coming off completely – it generally needs some kind of cleaning solution to be completely cleaned off.

The oleophobic layer also has a slightly slippery feel to it, which makes our gadgets feel slick to the touch. This also helps the glass be more scratch resistant, as a reduced friction will cause dangerous materials to slide off the surface, rather than damaging it. Ever wondered why brand new smartphone screens feel a bit more slippery (in the good way), compared to the one your 1- or 2-year old handset? Well, the fresh layer of oleophobic coating is the answer. It, unfortunately, wears off with time. How long it would take for your specific screen to shed off its grease protection could be highly individual. First, it depends on amount and type of usage; second, each human's body has varying levels of acidity to their sweat, and third, the method of bonding the coating to the glass, and the type of polymer used, is entirely up to every single manufacturer, and thus – we have coatings of different qualities that can last for various time periods, and may feel slightly different to the touch (though, the quality issue is mostly normalized, as most manufacturers use Gorilla Glass, which comes with its own coat). Generally, an oleophobic coat should be able to last a smartphone's typical 2-year life cycle, however, misuse, poor quality, or just bad conditions could cause it to wear out within months.

Oakley - why you no do this !?!?
Uh bro they did! Was on lenses when it was first introduced and now you can buy it
image.png

All of my OEM lenses look like garbage after I swap them into various XMetal frames...

Even my Brook and Radar lenses look like crap...

I have to spray them down and wipe them...it gets quite painful when you have 4 different swaps going on at the same time lol...

So you have to apply it for every lens ??

I have seen zero people mention this on this forum, like ever...

Does anyone actually waste their money on that stuff ?? Lol
Very easy and fast !Few coats Bro it works trust me. I use it on my touch screen navigation in my car too. Once I month I do it or when I am going to wear a pair I don't wear often

Back