• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley As Safety Glasses

s3sunruh

Oakley Expert
Casper WY
Who here uses magnificent Oakley glasses for safety glasses in shop classes or "on the job"? I'm looking for a safety glass option for my shop classes/labs coming up soon. I have an M-frame, a Radar, a Racing Jacket (jawbone), and a Half Jacket 2.0. Which one would work best? I want to just buy a clear lens set when the time comes.

I have multiple pairs of M Frames. Two stay at work, a 2.0 and a 3.0. I wear my 3.0 pair daily, for up to 10 hours continuously.

Love them, love them, love them.

Realistically any pair will serve you well. The biggest concerns are long term comfort, clarity, and fit.

In my opinion you want the edge of the lens and frame outside of your field of vision. Most pairs of safety glasses you see don't have full frames, there's a reason for that.

The comfort will determine how willing you are to put them on and keep them on. If they move around, pinch, cause fatigue on your nose, or anything like that, you'll take them off. That defeats the purpose.

The fit will determine coverage. But you also need to consider how they interact with your face. A full frame will "seal" and fog more easily. Vented lenses will get around that, but IMO vents on a safety glasses pair is counter intuitive.

Look in a mirror and stare at your eye. Move your head around, keeping focus on your eye. Can you see your eyelid or eye at any point, other than very extreme angles? If so, the coverage is lacking. This can come from the nose not fitting well, the lenses not being tall/wide enough, or other fit issues.

And clarity; like I said any Oakley will likely serve you well. I get guys at work asking why I wear Oakleys, and I get a jab about making so much money, yada yada. Then I loan them a pair and have to fight them to get my glasses back. Cheap safety glasses can SUCK for distortion, especially the ubiquitous (but thankfully phasing out) boxy pairs.

If you go with the M Frame let me know. I think I have 1 or 2 spare clear lenses in Strike.

I plan on buying a pair of the safety glasses for work myself. I am a radiation protection tech and we have to have them on at all times in work areas. The freebies that the company provides are the worst things you will ever look through; and they scratch easy to boot.

For a better coverage I'd go with the M Frame.
But if you really want comfort the HJ is your best bet.

Thanks rusty! That really gave me some insight on what to look for!

I might pick up a set of clear XL lenses for my HJ2. In comparison to every other pair of safety glasses I've owned, the coverage is almost identical if not better because of how close the glasses wrap around my head. But if those are nixed... a clear m-frame or radar lens will be in order.

I have multiple pairs of M Frames. Two stay at work, a 2.0 and a 3.0. I wear my 3.0 pair daily, for up to 10 hours continuously.

Love them, love them, love them.

Realistically any pair will serve you well. The biggest concerns are long term comfort, clarity, and fit.

In my opinion you want the edge of the lens and frame outside of your field of vision. Most pairs of safety glasses you see don't have full frames, there's a reason for that.

The comfort will determine how willing you are to put them on and keep them on. If they move around, pinch, cause fatigue on your nose, or anything like that, you'll take them off. That defeats the purpose.

The fit will determine coverage. But you also need to consider how they interact with your face. A full frame will "seal" and fog more easily. Vented lenses will get around that, but IMO vents on a safety glasses pair is counter intuitive.

Look in a mirror and stare at your eye. Move your head around, keeping focus on your eye. Can you see your eyelid or eye at any point, other than very extreme angles? If so, the coverage is lacking. This can come from the nose not fitting well, the lenses not being tall/wide enough, or other fit issues.

And clarity; like I said any Oakley will likely serve you well. I get guys at work asking why I wear Oakleys, and I get a jab about making so much money, yada yada. Then I loan them a pair and have to fight them to get my glasses back. Cheap safety glasses can SUCK for distortion, especially the ubiquitous (but thankfully phasing out) boxy pairs.

If you go with the M Frame let me know. I think I have 1 or 2 spare clear lenses in Strike.

That was truly an amazing lesson in how to pick safety glasses. :thumb::thumb:

Back