• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley As Safety Glasses

My boyfriend uses his Flak Jackets with XLJ clear lenses at his job. He is a Harley mechanic and had to wear safety glasses while he was in school for it. So I hooked him up with some Clear lenses for his Flaks and he hasn't looked back. I think any sport frame that you thinks fits comfortably will serve you well. My dad is an electrician and used to wear Bottlecaps to work. One day an electrical panel blew up in his face, but the lenses kept a ton of metal and sparks out of his eyes. Basically you really cant go wrong as long as they are Oakley.

I personally really like working with radars when doing woodwork but i would also recommend the M-frame either way i doubt you will go wrong

I personally really like working with radars when doing woodwork but i would also recommend the M-frame either way i doubt you will go wrong

In my experience Radars encroach into you peripheral more, have a less stable fit, and are a little heavier which results in them not being comfortable as long.

I've used a Radar Pitch at work, that only lasted a day.

I dont want to hijack the thread; but this is still on topic. I am thinking about getting a pair with photochromic lenses since I have to do a lot of inside and outside work. It is a hassle carrying a pair of sunglasses to switch over to when I go outside though; especially when everything that I bring with me has to be processed out when I exit a radiologically controlled area. A lot of my inside work is in low light conditions. It is against procedure for us to wear shaded lenses while we are indoors. If I understand correctly the clear to black photochromic lenses clear up to 10% black under low light conditions. Does that mean that they are still somewhat noticeably black; or are they pretty clear to look at? I would like to hear any feedback from anyone with experience with the clear to black photochromics.

We have a few pairs with clear black photochromic in my store, I have to say inside they are totally 100% clear. I don't have as much experience with them outside, so I'm not sure how dark they actually get. But I'm sure someone here can clear that up.

We have a few pairs with clear black photochromic in my store, I have to say inside they are totally 100% clear. I don't have as much experience with them outside, so I'm not sure how dark they actually get. But I'm sure someone here can clear that up.

That is very helpful thank you. They don't have to be the perfect set of sunglasses, so long as they do a decent job. I am to the point where I just don't bring sunglasses with me anymore because its a hassle carrying the extra pair around with everything else I have to hold on to and be accountable for. But in sunny Arizona I really need them. My biggest concern was the indoor clarity. My industry is highly regulated, and I wouldn't want to get nailed for breaking procedure by wearing a tinted lense indoors. Some of the areas of the plant are very dark, so there is a lot of safety concern with vision.

I dont want to hijack the thread; but this is still on topic. I am thinking about getting a pair with photochromic lenses since I have to do a lot of inside and outside work. It is a hassle carrying a pair of sunglasses to switch over to when I go outside though; especially when everything that I bring with me has to be processed out when I exit a radiologically controlled area. A lot of my inside work is in low light conditions. It is against procedure for us to wear shaded lenses while we are indoors. If I understand correctly the clear to black photochromic lenses clear up to 10% black under low light conditions. Does that mean that they are still somewhat noticeably black; or are they pretty clear to look at? I would like to hear any feedback from anyone with experience with the clear to black photochromics.

You have it backwards. The 10% black is when they're dark. I believe they clear up to 95% transmission when "clear". There will still be a little tint but I don't think it'd be an issue.

Back