• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Case Project Need Ideas On Lighting.

H82LOSE

Oakley Beginner
INDIANA
OK fellas lets get the laughs out of the way. My display case is being constructed out of a 55" Mitsubishi project TV that I purchased new in 2003. Ive had this TV repaired twice and decided I wasn't going to mess with it since it was in a spare room and hardly used. I've removed all internals and I'm going to install white laminated particle board on the sides and the top while using a mirror for the bottom. After removing the screen from behind the plexi I'll be able to reinstall the front frame to protect the contents from dust etc. I have it modified so you can just lift the entire screen off to gain access. Under the screen behind the screen with be 2 factory speakers powered by a Onkyo receivor forbade little music if need be. Where I'm stuck is on lighting. I would like to add some sort of LED lighting where I can change colors and be able to dim. Building and constructing things comes easy but I'm clueless on the lighting aspect. Any ideas would be appreciated.

For my home I've used "optiLED" for everything since they have super low profile stuff but they're expensive.

I think you should hit an auto tinting stereo place cause they will be better along the lines of what you're looking for. They have low profile led and even "rainbow" led that they can order for you from their suppliers.

That's the best I can think of right now. Been a long day

For my home I've used "optiLED" for everything since they have super low profile stuff but they're expensive.

I think you should hit an auto tinting stereo place cause they will be better along the lines of what you're looking for. They have low profile led and even "rainbow" led that they can order for you from their suppliers.

That's the best I can think of right now. Been a long day

Thanks as I hadn't thought about going with those led strips you see at the local auto stores. However would you be able to convert that so you could plug it into a 110 outlet?

I think it is possible. With the stuff I use they have special plugs that plug into a power supply that goes straight to a 110 outlet.

I believe you can do the same thing with the car stuff and convert it without issues. You just need a tech there willing to help you out enough.

Hopefully there are some electrical experts that will chime in. That may be the most affordable and easiest route to take while using the least amount of space.

Hopefully there are some electrical experts that will chime in. That may be the most affordable and easiest route to take while using the least amount of space.

They make 120v AC kits and 12v DC kits... In order to run a 12v DC kit you will need a wall plug transformer (120v AC to 12v DC), basically you have them around the home to convert electricity to operate stuff like portable home phones, some laptops, etc. Depending on how much lighting will determine which amount of amperage draw you will have. A good size transformer will be around $20 and should handle your needs. Be careful as not all LED lighting is the same. Some of them will get hot if you have the "super bright" stuff. There are a few kits you can by that are reasonably priced.

The other option is halogen/incandescent undercabinet puck lighting. The big box stores like Lowes and Home Depot have 2,4,6 puck under-cabinet light kits. They are all 120vAC lighting which can be easily installed and linked together, plus you can get a touch style dimmer, and set your own light control. Its probably your best deal.....and its much easier. Natural looking light...

Thanks for all the info as that gives me a very good starting point. I'll be at Home Depot tomorrow so I'll check them out.

Back