• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Custom Order Paint Chipped

jkk

Oakley Beginner
Hi all. New Oakley fan here, first post. In the past couple of months I've bought 6 pairs (Jawbones, Radars, M-Frames) plus assorted lenses for cycling. I believe Oakley is THE best bar none. So tell me what you think of this experience... I ordered a new pair of custom M-Frames in red directly from Oakley. Upon receiving them and opening the box I immediately notice that the paint is chipped in the front above the lens. Customer support is not much help other being apologetic and presenting hurdles to return the glasses (wait to get return authorization label, bring package back to courier, wait for Oakley to inspect the returned pair, and what's more a 3 to 4 week to obtain a replacement while billing my credit card for 2 pairs. I was kind of hoping for immediate replacement, or some kind of "we're sorry" incentive for all the trouble. Any way, my confidence in Oakley has been shaken. I'm returning the glasses and won't be ordering from them again. Please can you share your experiences?

That is now standard procedure. They have you ship it back so they can inspect it to make sure it's a manufacturer defect instead of a customer who bought it, used it, damaged it, then decided to claim warranty. So in the end if they say it's not their fault, you're SOL.

Oakley was not like this pre Lux. Even the 1 year warranty is BS. They will not honor it if you do not have a receipt to prove you purchased it from an authorized retailer.

I'm a fan and want to believe and keep the faith. But further business is what I'm trying to decide based on feedback from this forum's members who have much more experience than me with Oakley. Based on my personal experience which is all of one custom order, their batting average for quality control and customer suport is zero. Buying through dealers where you can see what you're getting before buying seems to be the way to go. But that's just me based on one order. Please share your experiences.

Here is my $.02 take it for what you will. It's tough times for most and when we spend money we want what we paid for to last and arrive trouble free. Given most retailers situation and level of reduced customer service, at least they are working with you. I interact with many vendors who do not stand by their product at any level, even me as the middle man, and it's hard to promote products to my customers when they do this to them and me as a distributor. As much as I hate to say it's what we have to deal with today, it is.

I have dealt with Oakley since 1989 and I only had one less then pleasant experience. I custom ordered Jawbones in March 2010 and their build time doubled from projected, do to many set backs. I had to work harder then I should have to get answers but they made it right in the end. Here is what i was told from them and my local Oakley rep from my business. The Custom Shop, at that time anyway, is basically a separate entity they way they operate, from receiving supplies, handling customer service issues, etc. March to September is the worst time to order from the Custom shop in terms of wait, by May don't plan on seeing things until September when it comes to sport glasses. In particular those favored by the cycling community. This is what i was told anyway, and seems to hold true based on order times I have seen in the past.

Let's look at it from the retailers perspective.
1. Customer service has protocols to protect that company, they can only go so far as confined by their position and doing otherwise may be restricted (literally can't do it) or cost them their job.
2. A custom pair turn around time is going to take longer; then factor in the examination aspect of your return pair, clearing protocols, and total volume of customer returns, etc.
3. Double billing: You were billed for the initial pair and billed again because they are probably making you a new pair. It may be a pending transaction, which still has your money tied up, but can be reversed in one business day. This 2nd billing will be removed when the case is closed and they receive your return pair. During this time they will verify it's not a fake and you are not trying to hustle them, determine the reason for the chip (factory fault, packaging dept., shipper sending the package.). Not saying this is Oakley/LUX policy; it could be a clerical error by CS when you called. It is a practice that I have seen before by other companies, it's worth a call back to them and verify.

Good luck with your transaction, keep us updated on your situation.

Hi all. New Oakley fan here, first post. In the past couple of months I've bought 6 pairs (Jawbones, Radars, M-Frames) plus assorted lenses for cycling. I believe Oakley is THE best bar none. So tell me what you think of this experience... I ordered a new pair of custom M-Frames in red directly from Oakley. Upon receiving them and opening the box I immediately notice that the paint is chipped in the front above the lens. Customer support is not much help other being apologetic and presenting hurdles to return the glasses (wait to get return authorization label, bring package back to courier, wait for Oakley to inspect the returned pair, and what's more a 3 to 4 week to obtain a replacement while billing my credit card for 2 pairs. I was kind of hoping for immediate replacement, or some kind of "we're sorry" incentive for all the trouble. Any way, my confidence in Oakley has been shaken. I'm returning the glasses and won't be ordering from them again. Please can you share your experiences?

Thanks for the thoughtful words P_C. Putting aside the hurdles and delays Oakley apparently must put its customers through to correct Oakley's own errors, I'm left wondering how these glasses got out the door with an obvious defect (paint chip) in the first place. The packaging was pristine, they were not damaged in shipment but rather clearly defective at source. Seems like a quality control issue. In any case, all this is just my experience based on my first dealing with the Oakley custom order website shop ... likely to be my first and last. You'd kind of expect better from a $200 pair of sunglasses. Maybe I just got unlikely this time, so I'm asking for other's to share their experiences. I really like my Oakleys and I really don't want to be disappointed.

Well I can say since Lux things have changed ...wont drive me away but I dont have faith in the warranty anymore but I dont have that many pairs left With my old Black chrome Splice they traded it for something else and admitted it was their fault That was 7 years ago... do u have a store near u? Its limiting but u can only buy stuff inspected that way..I had a Flak which came with chipped lens I had to jump through hoops but they did FINALLY send me a lens set. The process took weeks....

Back