• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Employees Please Read!

Just emailed Tamara at Oakley Social saying this:

Hi Tamara,

My name is Chris, I've been in contact with you over twitter (@chrisbron) discussing my collection and frogskins :)

If you might remember, Oakley sponsored (I hope that's the right term...) an event called "Shady Lovers" (see link below):

Shady Lovers: Oakley Showcases Dazzling Art and Eyewear in Virginia Beach | UK

I am an active member on the Oakley collectors' forums and I'm on the most active facebook pages. I have built up quite a reputation with our community as both a collector and a buyer of Oakley eyewear, accessories etc.

After the "Shady Lovers" event, a lot of us went on to buy the "Oakley x Shadow Lawn Creepers" frogskins collaboration along with the prototypes of the designs. This was all in conjunction with the artist Charlie Restless.

After the first members of the forums received their SLC frogskins, it was quickly discovered that they were a simple hydroprint which can be done in any shop.

So a lot of us contacted Charlie and SLC for refunds, here's my story:

After the official event in October, I ordered 2 prototypes and 4 of the 666 releases (those were the retails releases of the Oakley x SLC frogskins).

I paid $400 for the 2 prototypes and $1,400 for the other 4 pairs.

After the glasses turned out not to be what we expected (as I said, the first people to receive them in the US alerted us about it), I cancelled the order and Charlie refunded the $400 for the prototypes immediately.

He then told me that there was a lot of inquires coming his way and he needed some extra time to refund the $1,400 for the collab release . I was more than willing to give him the time. After some bugging, he refunded me $700 as a partial refund at the end of November via PayPal and said the other $700 will follow shortly.

It's now January and still no refund, PayPal won't process the claim as it has been months since the payment and Charlie won't respond to tweets or emails.

Obviously I never got the glasses. I'm going to attach pics of my paypal account of the money that went out and what got refunded for your reference.

This is what happened to me. PayPal wouldn't accept my claim and my bank wouldn't do anything without PayPal accepting a claim. I am stuck with a $700 loss.

I then made it public in the forums that Charlie Restless screwed me over for my $700 and asked for advice; the most interesting part is that after making it public, I have received at least 3 other responses already from overseas customers with the same problem! Apparently he owes one of them $900 after blocking him on twitter and ignoring communications.

Turns out that Charlie pulled the same stunt on a lot of overseas customers: you would put in a claim with PayPal and he would email you asking to solve it outside of PayPal. Being the kind souls that we [collectors] are, we would agree, and then once the PayPal claim time window elapses, he would stop all communication. Obviously we were left without the frogskins or the money!

I have always been a fan of Oakley products and have gained even more insight into the Oakley culture and community since beginning collecting in 2010. I was wondering if there is a way to help us get refunds as it is a shame that somebody who had been endorsed by Oakley could bring it into disrepute.

By now it has become more principle for me than about the money (although I would still like my $700 back from Charlie!), I have been contacted by people from Singapore, Malaysia and Italy asking for help. There is a language barrier for some of these people to communicate their issue eloquently so I decided to help our community as it has proven over and over that we support one another.

So, Tamara, I ask of you, could you be able to help us with this problem, escalate it if it has to be escalated as I cannot bear the idea that somebody used the Oakley name to start scheming people out of their hard-earned money.

With kind regards, and waiting for a positive reply,

Chris (student, collector and fan)

You're being too nice Chris! lol

haha you gotta be nice for a little while :roll eyes:

But chris man i feel for you. Nothing sucks more than to be ripped off by someone you think you could trust. I wish i had a way of helping you but unfortunately i don't. If i did i would give you all the info i could to set this guy straight.

Maybe you should ask one person that received theirs for the return address on the box they received them in and pay him a little visit. Lol (i am only joking here please don't do that.)

**** a duck, you bought 6 pairs!!

well, "bought" is the wrong term here, haha!

I got this reply from Tamara:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sending the email and the attachments. I've emailed someone on our team that was working with the event to get some information. He is traveling for an event so it may be a couple days before I hear back from him but I wanted to let you know so you didn't think we weren't looking into this. Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Best regards,
Tamara

So I'll keep everybody posted!

Thanks for all the offers and help, and I would like to point out that a guy on the FB has some mutual friends with Charlie and is trying to approach him from that direction as well :)

i like how you guys all spent $340 on a pair of ****ty frogs but when i post my frogs for $400 that were limited to 50 pairs you all **** bricks.

i like how you guys all spent $340 on a pair of ****ty frogs but when i post my frogs for $400 that were limited to 50 pairs you all **** bricks.
Golly, ****ting bricks is quite a vivid image. There may be more truth to what you just wrote than you imagine.

I'm happy to hear that you guys have gotten Oakley involved, and that they are working on it. I am happy to hear that the forum helped make you realize that you weren't the only one Charlie scammed. Hopefully Oakley will help you straighten this out and refund all of the money wrongfully taken.

Back