• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Eye Jacket Potential Purchase

350nick

Oakley Expert
I have got my eye on 2 potential eye jackets to buy.

Have always liked the eye jacket as its the model that got me into Oakley, although I have never owned a pair as I couldn't afford them back then.

Both pairs are Cobalt with Red iridium I believe. Is this a desirable colour scheme from a collectors point of view? I would buy them anyway as I quite like it, just interested really!

Was wondering what the red iridium lens is like as I don't think this is still made?? Any close equivalents?

I think both pairs are 2nd gen. One is an auction for a very good condition pair the others are slightly more used but potentially very cheap and may do me just to have a pair! I'm not a serious collector.

I assume there is no lens or rubber availability for these (apart from aftermarket lenses which I'm not keen on)

Are these really fragile? I know my brothers Trenchcoats broke on the orbital.

Thanks in advance for any help!

The first gen are quite fragile if you dont have a small head. The lenses are impossible to find in new condition by themselves but the good news is you can have some custom cut if you like from a donor Oakley lens. The second gen EJ is made from the newer material and is more flexible but if you have a big head you still run the risk of breaking a pair due to the age. I do see replacement rubbers come up from time to time, just bought a few for some project pairs a couple months ago but usually arent cheap. Hard to beat the color combo, one of the best.

Just curious what color the Trenchcoats were? Still have them? Maybe they can still be used at parts to salvage another pair. I might be interested.

Thanks for that! Yes I've heard of cutting lenses so might be an option. I'm in the UK so might have to learn to cut lenses myself. Something I'm considering but will need some practice lenses!

Going to see how much the better eye jackets go for and potentially bid. If too much I'll go for the ones in worse condition as a project. They don't look too bad!

The trenchcoats are ox blood with silver iridium. I actually glued the orbital and it looks quite neat. There is one lens missing but it's definitely in my dads garage which he's in the long process of sorting (bit of a dumping ground)

The lens is in the original box with all the paperwork etc. glasses were perfect really apart from cracking. They had warranty replacement arms at some point after an accident.

I can ask but I don't think my brother would sell as they are his first ever pair! He has some butterscotch with 24k scars too which I think are fairly rare.

The good thing about the color combo of EJ you are interested in is that they do come up fairly often so if you miss a pair another will show up soon. I was hoping maybe it was a camo pair of TCs as I have some new orbitals I need arms for.

eBay seller 7706leemarcus usually has a good selection of eye jacket frames - may be worth dropping him a line?

if you want some lenses to practice 'chopping', i have some eyekon lenses surplus to requirement. the were incorrectly supplied to me and they didn't want them returned. width is correct but the height will need reducing.

let me know if you are interested.

The good thing about the color combo of EJ you are interested in is that they do come up fairly often so if you miss a pair another will show up soon. I was hoping maybe it was a camo pair of TCs as I have some new orbitals I need arms for.

I'll just see what happens with those eye jackets then. Have you sampled those lenses before?

As for the trenchcoats, there is a uk seller on eBay selling some camo ones in great condition at the moment. Bidding is fairly low at moment too so may be worth a look for you!

eBay seller 7706leemarcus usually has a good selection of eye jacket frames - may be worth dropping him a line?

if you want some lenses to practice 'chopping', i have some eyekon lenses surplus to requirement. the were incorrectly supplied to me and they didn't want them returned. width is correct but the height will need reducing.

let me know if you are interested.

I'll look into that! And very kind offer of the lenses! I am UK based though. Are you US?

Need to invest in a dremel if I'm going to chop lenses .

im uk based (somerset). pm me with your address and i will send'em off to you. i don't want anything for them - just pay it forward! ( and remember me when you are the uk's dr.chop)!!

I'll just see what happens with those eye jackets then. Have you sampled those lenses before?

As for the trenchcoats, there is a uk seller on eBay selling some camo ones in great condition at the moment. Bidding is fairly low at moment too so may be worth a look for you!

Illl keep an eye on those but the ones I am after are the green tan brown camo ones.

im uk based (somerset). pm me with your address and i will send'em off to you. i don't want anything for them - just pay it forward! ( and remember me when you are the uk's dr.chop)!!

Will do! Thanks again, hopefully I will master the lens chopping!

Back