• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley FB Page With "tbt" XMetal Pic

I called Oakley Customer Service yesterday about servicing the "nearly indestructible" frames. The lady I talked to me dismissed me rather quickly, and told me to trade them for a 35% discount on any other pair. I sent feedback to Oakley about this call, and got a reply (voice mail) yesterday afternoon. I basically requested that if Oakley refuses to service the frames, at the very least, provide customers with the ability to purchase the consumable parts via a kit to do it themselves. I get discontinuing a product, but don't market it in a fashion that would presume it will last you a life time if well taken care of. I was told that they will accommodate my request for parts via this voice mail. We shall see what happens. I plan on requesting their distributor information for the materials within the nose bridge. I am sure they outsourced the Flex Couple Rubber, pins, and orbital screws.

There is light at the end of this tunnel by Linegear developing aftermarket solutions, and as a last resort, making custom modifications. I am able to tighten my frames with about $50 of tools and parts off the shelf from craft and tool stores. The only thing I dislike about doing this is, I HAVE to reuse the pins. $20 dollars (from ebay) for a set of these is pretty out outrageous. I don't know of other sources, but it's hard to stomach 10 dollar a piece steal rivet press pins.

Supply and Demand is a B

Those are my outrageously priced pins on eBay.

#1) It is a best offer listing so you can offer to pay less than they are listed for. Make me an offer.

#2) My pins are crafted from marine grade 316 stainless steel, not from the typical 303 stainless which has less corrosion resistance. Using a higher quality metal increases the cost of production significantly. I don't take shortcuts.

#3) I took the time to microgrit sand and polish each pin so that it has a smooth edge on the head allowing for ease of install. Because I took time to seriously sand and polish every pin so that they are guaranteed to fit and function, that increases my price. I could be selling you straight from the machine, burr-laden parts but I'm not. I'm selling pieces as high quality as the glasses they go in.

#4) My pins are extremely detailed to OEM-spec and include the raised locking ring that OEM pins have. Other pins, including Linegear's (according to their photos) do not have this locking ring meaning they run the risk of literally falling out of the frame once installed.

I intend to offer high quality parts without shortcuts. I may not be the cheapest but I will be the best. That is all I have to say about this. Cheers.

Last edited:
Back