• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Holbrook Lenses coating peel off after rain?

Calidore

Oakley Beginner
Hello,

I recently bought a Oakley Holbrook, Iridium Ice with blue lenses. Unfortunately a few days after I bought them, the daughter of a friend of mine scratched the glasses and played with them in the sand at the beach... So my friend he let the lenses replaced (I'm located on the Philippines). Now, a few months later I drove with them on the bike and it suddenly started raining. I kept the glasses on, to avoid rain coming on my eyes.. I put the wet glasses directly in my etui and closed it. The next morning I wanted to clean my lenses and the inside of the lenses had small blisters. I first thought they were water spots, but as soon as I cleaned it with my microfiber cloth the whole inside of the lenses got scratches everywhere and the coating was peeling off....

Its really frustrating since those lenses seemed to be original and cost 60 Euro, they came in an original box. Now I have the feeling maybe they were fake?

Does anyone made same expierence? Is it possible that if the glasses stay wet for some time that blisters can be built unterneath the coating of the glasses?

Thank you for any response!

Calidore

Welcome to the forum.

I'll bet your friend replaced them with no oem lenses because he probably got them so much cheaper. Great friend there.......not really

Welcome to the forum.

I'll bet your friend replaced them with no oem lenses because he probably got them so much cheaper. Great friend there.......not really

Thank you very much.

Don't really understand your answer. So you think they are fake? My friend would never do so. If, it was the Filipino guy who got advantage of it. Would be important to know if this can happen to original Holbrook lenses! What do you mean with oem?

Thank you very much.

Don't really understand your answer. So you think they are fake? My friend would never do so. If, it was the Filipino guy who got advantage of it. Would be important to know if this can happen to original Holbrook lenses! What do you mean with oem?
I can't see real OEM lenses having a peeling issue because of rain/water. I suppose if the lenses were super old and scratched. What frank is suggesting is perhaps the lenses are aftermarket instead of original. Some photos may help us determine your issue..

Welcome to the forum..

@Calidore i think that is what he is saying... You got fake lens. Friend or not unless you were there and saw the lens being purchased from Oakley and mounted your friend might have gotten ripped off. I've had lens in the rain before and they have never peeled unless there was foreign oils/chemicals on there. Unless you have acid rain where you are from? Do you have acid rain?

Thank you very much for the responses.

@ soulfulfrog: sorry if this should have belonged to the fake thread. I was not sure if I should put it in there or not.

The lenses are 4 months old. They came in a box which looked original. The guy who did it was from a shop which sell original Oakley. At least thats what I know.

I don't think that we have acid rain in bohol Philippines.

Attached find pictures form the inside of each lense.

IMG_20160705_191256.jpg

IMG_20160705_191234.jpg

Either you got a hell of a defect or contamination, or it's non-OEM. Regardless, there's only one way to replace them, and that's to buy another set.

Your friend could probably try to get replacements again, but that's really on him and his relationship with the store he bought it from. I would take more pics of the entire pair (especially the serial number) and post in the Fakes inquiry thread to double check what you've got.

Hello,

I recently bought a Oakley Holbrook, Iridium Ice with blue lenses. Unfortunately a few days after I bought them, the daughter of a friend of mine scratched the glasses and played with them in the sand at the beach... So my friend he let the lenses replaced (I'm located on the Philippines). Now, a few months later I drove with them on the bike and it suddenly started raining. I kept the glasses on, to avoid rain coming on my eyes.. I put the wet glasses directly in my etui and closed it. The next morning I wanted to clean my lenses and the inside of the lenses had small blisters. I first thought they were water spots, but as soon as I cleaned it with my microfiber cloth the whole inside of the lenses got scratches everywhere and the coating was peeling off....

Its really frustrating since those lenses seemed to be original and cost 60 Euro, they came in an original box. Now I have the feeling maybe they were fake?

Does anyone made same expierence? Is it possible that if the glasses stay wet for some time that blisters can be built unterneath the coating of the glasses?

Thank you for any response!

Calidore

Hello, I know this post is old, but accidentally I saw it today.

Maybe your lenses are original or maybe not. Original lenses can also be affected in the manufacturing process.

I hope you could replace them, and if not please try our aftermarket Oakley Holbrook Lenses

Thank you

Back