• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley isn't what it used to be

I know for a fact that luxxotica dont get involved with what Oakley produce. They may of bought Oakley out, but: Ray Ban, D&G etc are all made in the same place, but luxxotica have told oakley to keep doing what there doing, hence why foothill ranch is still there. All the testing, all the materials, what (O MATTER) actually is, is still between Oakley employees.

Luxxotica have actually told Oakley to help a few companies that Luxxotica also own to get them off the floor.

i maintain some of their clothes and non o matter is no longer made in USA...looking at the emphasis on huge fashion glasses over sportier wraps shows me they have changed direction...for better or worse depending on personal tastes.

The Game said:
i like the direction the company is headed. i remember being a fan back in the early/mid 00's and seeing very few styles that i would purchase. i remember looking at glasses like the unknown, eye jacket 3.0, dartboard, trenchcoat, fatcat, fives 2.0, fate, four, halo and haylons. i thought these models look like ****. there wasnt anything other than x-metals that i would buy. the best styles at the time were monster dogs and half jackets. it wasnt till i saw the oil drum that i thought they were making a strong comeback. currently i think that they need to stop pushing the womens line so much. i know they want that market but they need to realize women only care about name brands like gucci and prada rather than something that really performs. i think their major women buyers are softball players.

Yeah thats true most women go for those ugly D&G glasses or something from another fashion brand name. They can show off their lack of driving skills while wearing a pair of pradas haha.

the piper said:
i maintain some of their clothes and non o matter is no longer made in USA...looking at the emphasis on huge fashion glasses over sportier wraps shows me they have changed direction...for better or worse depending on personal tastes.
As far as I know, the apparel has never been made in the USA. All of my clothes have said Made in Bangladesh, Mexico, Thailand, etc.

Adzi said:
I know for a fact that luxxotica dont get involved with what Oakley produce. They may of bought Oakley out, but: Ray Ban, D&G etc are all made in the same place, but luxxotica have told oakley to keep doing what there doing, hence why foothill ranch is still there. All the testing, all the materials, what (O MATTER) actually is, is still between Oakley employees.

Luxxotica have actually told Oakley to help a few companies that Luxxotica also own to get them off the floor.

I've heard this before...but there are other ways to change the direction of a company without overt involvement. I mean, insofar as what you say is accurate maybe it just proves what an incredible visionary and creative force Jim was...that his departure had such a huge effect on the company. Regardless, 20 minutes digging online leads to the discovery of a common phrase amongst current and former employees in reference to any number of recent negative changes at Oakley "since the sale". How much of that is Lux influenced and how much is interal decision making minus Jim I don't know

The only way I've seen Luxxotica affect the company is with how many glasses are produced and how quickly new models are being released. We've had 4-5 new styles come out in the past couple of months and most are on backorder.

its not just the new styles that are on back order its everything that is on back order. in my store we dont have any m-frame lenses at all. we have the strike which nobody busy in all the colors but we havent have a fire or positive red lens in months same with black ird pol. its crazy, oakley has had its shifts but for what they keep telling us we are set to expect some big things soon, and crazy things like the oakley of old. but u never know how much of that is true or not, i personally hope so

I must agree with what was said about frogskins being over priced...it's crazy, you can buy frogskin copies in clothing stores for like £10...no matter what people say, the cost to make a pair of real frogskins can't be much more, in fact I'd be surprised if they didn't come out of the same factory... but fair play to them, they make the likes of frogskins for pennies, and sell them for over £100...to people like me who love them lol!

iam an Oakley employee.. i work at the European Flagship Store in Covent Garden, London, and as far as i can see... there arnt that many changes but like the guy said, more are being realised etc etc.. thats it.

I personally dont think there is a massive change. But the driving force of Oakley has gone.

Could be worse..

After what's been happening in china, I believe that's why a lot of things are on back order, the transport system to ship goods was hit hard, it's been the same for the bike industry.

And before you say it, no I don't believe for one minuet that Oakley are made in the USA

Back