• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley & Jordan collab - What's the history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uluahunter

I should Work at Oakley
Hawaii
Okay, I've tried searching online for this, but can't seem to find any info. What is the history behind the Oakley and Michael Jordan collaboration? And how was it he got tied to the X-Metal series? Just looking from the outside in, it seems that most other athletes associated/sponsored by Oakley, actually use their glasses with their chosen sport...except for a handful. I mean, it's part of their uniform (for lack of better words). I know Jordan's legacy plays a big part in why his models are highly prized and sought after, but I wonder why because they had nothing to do with his being an athlete or using it for the sports he professionally played (basketball & baseball). Why didn't he have a M-Frame while he was playing baseball? IDK, just random thoughts spoken out loud...

Those with knowledge, please chime in and educate me :redface:.

I don't know too much but I would say that his baseball career was definitely something that didn't deserve to be commemorated with a pair oakleys. I think that's something that he and everyone else would like to forget :sad:

During the 90's Jordan was everywhere. From what I heard he loved Oakley and they decided to do a collab with him. I'm sure there's more detail than that but that's what I know.

One of his teammates at the time, Dennis Rodman, was also a huge Oakley fan and you can see many photos and videos of him wearing stuff.

Its probably likely that it was just basic marketing...greatest sportsman on the planet wears your product ( regardless of wether he uses it in sport) and people will buy it...x metal line perhaps to go along the lines of most technicallyy gifted sportsman on the planet partnered with the most technically gifted eyewear... I know nothing about basketball and very little about oakleys this is just an assumption.lol

Of I recall...... Jordan was at one time on the board of directors ( chime in if I am on the right track) for some designs and such. I do know he wanted a business type of sunglasses that had professional appeal and that would look good in a suit. Thus the oo Jordan wires were born. As for the Jordan mars I am not sure how that came about. I believe that he also had to do with the gold time bomb being made also.

And because MJ was on the Board of Directors they also had a full size indoor basketball court in HQ! Sadly it is gone now, but I do have a piece of it!

That's awesome. Never knew the HQ had a basketball court in it, course I only seen the place once. Grats on having a piece of it.

I also think he used his glasses for appearance and sports he wasn't pro in. Like golf.

Very interesting, I had no clue that he was on the board of directors for Oakley...that explains things. Gotta give Jordan major props, not only was he a once in a lifetime gifted athlete, he was also an intelligent and well seasoned businessman. One of the few professional athletes that actually realized he needed to plan for a future after sports, and successfully did so.

Thanks for all the replies and insights into his background with Oakley...I feel enlightened now. :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back