• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Lens Cleaner Streaking

NiGHTSx2

Oakley Expert
San Jose, CA
Has anyone else had an issue with the Oakley lens cleaning solution causing streak marks on their lenses? I use it all the time, and 99% of the time it works great.

However, the other day I picked up a pair of Romeo 2 from eBay. When I got them I noticed all sorts of crazy rainbow colored streak marks on the Gold Iridium lenses. I pulled out my Oakley lens cleaner and went through the usual cleaning routine. It did nothing. So I went to the mild soap and water method, and it cleaned up the lenses perfectly. After reinstalling the lenses in the frame, I gave them a spray with the Oakley lens cleaner, and it put the same exact streaky marks back onto the lens. I went back to soap and water, and the lenses were again streak free. I've only had this experience one other time, with a 24K Plate lens.

So what gives? In both instances, the lenses have been from glasses that I bought secondhand. Could it be something that the previous owner did to the lenses that's causing this to happen? Is there an issue with lens cleaner on certain older lenses? I'm stumped here.

i dont care for the oakley cleaning solution. it's all crap to me. i use mild soap and water instead. i cant stand the streaking the solution gives me.

as for the rainbow streaks not sure what that came from.

Could be that your cloth is due for a wash, put it in the washing machine. Be sure not to use fabric softner. Soap and water does work well though.

Sometimes if there's a high amount of oils on the lens it can be hard for the lens cleaner to take off. Mild soap and water always works for me though.

I only use the Oakley cleaner. I saw that rainbow effect on a Romeo lens I cleaned today. First time I noticed and it was with a new cloth. It did evaporate away with no residue. I am afraid to use the water at my house, very hard water here. Could used distilled but to much effort, I am lazy.

I only use the Oakley cleaner. I saw that rainbow effect on a Romeo lens I cleaned today. First time I noticed and it was with a new cloth. It did evaporate away with no residue. I am afraid to use the water at my house, very hard water here. Could used distilled but to much effort, I am lazy.

Buy a water filter attatchment for your faucet.

Buy a water filter attatchment for your faucet.
Unfortunately those filters will not remove the minerals that account for the hardness. Many of them use minerals to filter the water. Great for removing contaminates and the minerals(hardness) are healthy for drinking. I have a whole house filter, carbon and ceramics to change hardness and keep it from accumulating but its still there just doesn't stick to the hardware.

I think it may be your lenses. I have a pair of positive reds on half jackets that do the same thing every time. It never happens to my other ones, not even the positive reds on my jawbone!

Don't discount the theory that the previous owner has used a cheap a55 cleaner on the lenses during their ownership of them.

Way back when I bought my second pair of Oakley sunglasses -Valve to be precise - the woman in the store sprayed the lenses with their own brand cleaner before I could stop her. This was surprisingly sticky gunk, that immediately caused a rainbow layer to the lenses. When I got the glasses home it took a long time to wash it completely from the lenses.

The store was Vision Express, who i tend not to buy from anymore.
Needless to say.

Latest Posts

Back