• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Lens Scratch Resistance Compared To Other Brands

Tom.

Europe
Now , as much as i love all my oakley glasses, i think the lenses are more fragile than for example Rudy Project lenses..........i have changed lenses on radar glasses a few times, and the pressure of my fingers on the lens was enough to rub off the coating and thereby ruining the lens completely...........what is your opinion on this matter ?

Iridium is sensitive. Treat it nicely. If you need more durability, go do non iridium lenses. IMO

Plutonite is a high grade polycarbonate - selected for optical superiority - not for durability. Iridium, as it's already been stated, is also not incredibly durable.

Be prepared to replace lenses if you're going to be rough with them. Regular careful cleaning (see the thread "how to clean your oakleys") and keeping them in the microfiber bag in a case will go a long way towards maximizing the life of your lenses. If you're carsurfing in a sandstorm, though...

I recommend you be Tom Cruise.

sandstorm-mission-impossible-ghost-protocol.jpg

Plutonite is a high grade polycarbonate - selected for optical superiority - not for durability. Iridium, as it's already been stated, is also not incredibly durable.

Be prepared to replace lenses if you're going to be rough with them. Regular careful cleaning (see the thread "how to clean your oakleys") and keeping them in the microfiber bag in a case will go a long way towards maximizing the life of your lenses. If you're carsurfing in a sandstorm, though...

I recommend you be Tom Cruise.

sandstorm-mission-impossible-ghost-protocol.jpg
Im sure Tom had clear lenses on ... no iridium to scuff/rub off :p

I have swapped hundreds of lenses and this has never happened. Not even with my modded and cut lenses has this occurred. The only issue I have ever seen was the iridium being chipped of at the edge of a lens from a drop and the. It start to flake off from there.

Now , as much as i love all my oakley glasses, i think the lenses are more fragile than for example Rudy Project lenses..........i have changed lenses on radar glasses a few times, and the pressure of my fingers on the lens was enough to rub off the coating and thereby ruining the lens completely...........what is your opinion on this matter ?
My opinion is that if this is true you had a defective or damaged lens and not indicative of Oakley's reliability on a broad scale.

I've been using M Frames for year, and I've gone through a lot of lenses. None of them simply peeled the iridium off with finger pressure.

Will an iridium lens survive going face first onto choppy ice? No. Will it take a drop onto concrete? Not so much. But it should stand up to being changed out. That said I've never been a fan of the Radar lens change system, which seems cumbersome and abusive compared to some of their other lens change systems, but I don't think it's a common thing to just have the iridium flake away without being lifted off via chemicals, or abused physically.

This is probably more of an interface/design thing but I killed both of my Rudy Project Freeon shield lenses easy. Cracked right at the top center. They, along with my Hypermask lens, seemed stiffer than Oakley lenses too. The Impact X lenses seem to have a bit more give, though. Got those in my Hypermask currently.

This is probably more of an interface/design thing but I killed both of my Rudy Project Freeon shield lenses easy. Cracked right at the top center. They, along with my Hypermask lens, seemed stiffer than Oakley lenses too. The Impact X lenses seem to have a bit more give, though. Got those in my Hypermask currently.
Rudy Project doesn't use polycarbonate IIRC.

certification_tests.jpg

Look at all them shattered Rudy lenses.

Back