• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Lens Scratch Resistance Compared To Other Brands

From the Rudy website. Touting how strong their lenses are. :cool-20:

I think they have a line of polycarb, but their bread and butter lenses aren't.

Figures. Does look like what my Freeon lenses would do if I stress them further. I don't even think that can be called "shatter proof".

The older oakley frame and lens is leass fragile compare to the newer one. My experience is on the M frame and lens though. What do you think?

The older oakley frame and lens is leass fragile compare to the newer one. My experience is on the M frame and lens though. What do you think?
I think the exact opposite is true.

I don't know what you mean by "older" when it comes to M Frames, though.

Old lenses used to crack pretty easily, and the Gen1-Gen2 and Pro frames aren't exactly the gold standard for durability.

To clarify, my comment about lenses cracking easily was directed at M Frames having propagation stemming from the frame hooks. Blades did the same thing. You get a ridge in there from the cutter and stress the lens, you get a crack going through. Better edges in newer lenses, and different bevel cuts I've seen look like an attempt to stop this, but you'd be hard pressed to find a used lens from the 90's that isn't cracked.

I've changed hundreds of lenses in all types of Oakleys over the years, from OEM to the cheap eBay lenses, and I have never had the iridium coating rub off. I have chipped the iridium coating due to the edges being too thick and trying to force the lens into the orbital, but it has never rubbed off. I don't have any experience with Rudy Project lenses so can't comment on those, but I just can't imagine the iridium coating rubbing off of Oakley lenses.

I think the exact opposite is true.

I don't know what you mean by "older" when it comes to M Frames, though.

Old lenses used to crack pretty easily, and the Gen1-Gen2 and Pro frames aren't exactly the gold standard for durability.

Mine was Duval edition with original lens. Played golf with it and no peeling with the lens till my son accidentally sat on it and crack the lens. Change to radar path and lens starts to peel after 2-3yrs. Lens was polarised black iridium.

In general, glass lenses have the best optical clarity and scratch resistance, but they're heavy and can shatter. Polycarbonate is lighter and shatterproof, and Oakley uses base prism tech to make the optics comparable to glass. But polycarbonate in general is more prone to scratching and, as mentioned earlier, iridium (which is just Oakley's version of a mirror coating) is even more sensitive. It's just the nature of the beast - to get the big advantages of weight and protection, you have to deal with the minor disadvantages of wear and tear.

Like others here, I've never had a problem with iridium easily flaking off, even after heavy and prolonged exposure to sweat and saltwater.

Mine was Duval edition with original lens. Played golf with it and no peeling with the lens till my son accidentally sat on it and crack the lens. Change to radar path and lens starts to peel after 2-3yrs. Lens was polarised black iridium.
Peeling isn't the same thing as having the entire iridium flake off. The peeling is prolonged exposure to skin oils and the like. I get a little bit of peeling at the edge of M Frame lenses where they touch my face.

Going from one pair to another and saying one is worse when they have different fits and whatnot isn't exactly apples to apples.

The Duval was also Slate, which is a much different type of coating vs. a Black Iridium.

Peeling isn't the same thing as having the entire iridium flake off. The peeling is prolonged exposure to skin oils and the like. I get a little bit of peeling at the edge of M Frame lenses where they touch my face.

Going from one pair to another and saying one is worse when they have different fits and whatnot isn't exactly apples to apples.

The Duval was also Slate, which is a much different type of coating vs. a Black Iridium.

Well I should have bought Slate for my radar then;-)

Back