• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Lens Tint for Sailing

SailAvid

Oakley Beginner
Hi there!
I've already purchased an Oakley Half Jacket 2.0.
Currently these are equipped with Black Iridium lenses.

Since I go sailing I want to buy new lenses for this purpose.
I'm not yet quite sure about the lens tint...

First of all they should be polarized. I'm sailing mainly in very sunny weather on the open water (e.g. Carribbean).

What's the best lens tint for this purpose?

I read that the VR28 Black Iridium is quite a goot catch? Can anyone suggest a different one or speak from his experience?

Thanks!

Hi there!

First of all they should be polarized. I'm sailing mainly in very sunny weather on the open water (e.g. Carribbean).

I read that the VR28 Black Iridium is quite a goot catch? Can anyone suggest a different one or speak from his experience?

Thanks!
I actually live right along the water myself and when it comes to really sunny days where I plan on being on or along the water, I always grab my black iridium polarized myself. I do think VR28 BI Polarized is a great choice as it's a little more flexible and gives you more of that contrast. If you want a little more flexibility, I might also look at Titanium Iridium (but I haven't seen too many frames offering that lens option) or maybe the more commonly found Tungsten Iridium. In terms of purely blocking the sun though, VR28 BI and Tungsten simply don't hack it when compared to BIP, which is probably a concern of yours in the Caribbean. In summary, I'd probably go with the BI Polarized myself but if you want a bit of that contrast, VR28 BI Polarized is an excellent alternative.

If you want a simulated view/review of VR28 BI Polarized, this video might help clarify things (check out the timestamp between 0:30 - 1:54:

Hi there!

Thanks!
your best bet is definitely the VR28 polarized, it is a superb all around lens, also all the other lenses are going to be a lot harder to find for the Half Jacket 2.0s

Nice, thanks for your replies!
The Deep Blue Polarized was also one of my favorites, but this one isn't available for the Half Jacket 2.0

Thus I'll go with the VR28 BI Pol. :)

Back