• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley M-Frame (Commercial) With Prescription (Rx) Inserts: Sharing Session

Isaac

Oakley Beginner
Hey guys, just want to share with everyone my M-Frames that I finally got sorted with Prescription Inserts! Extremely happy about it especially since I've always wanted an M-Frame ever since I saw it. This is my first pair of Oakleys and I love them.

Initially I wanted to get oakley to do the M-Frame with the embedded prescription for me but my degree and astigmatism were too high and I was rejected which was a huge disappointment.

With a little hunting, and ALOT of help from fellow member Rustpot (Thanks again!!! I really appreciate it!!) I settled on the ESS U-Rx (http://www.esseyepro.com/U-Rx-Insert_191_detail.html) and Oakley Custom M-Frames directly from Oakley online.

The ESS U-Rx is officially compatible with M-Frame 2.0 lenses but NOT normal M-frame lenses because of missing hooks at the top. This meant I had to modify the U-Rx nose piece attachment to fit the commercial M-frames (which have the custom tints that I want). I superglued 2 pieces each at 4.8mm in length to the nose piece. (I really hope they hold, I did add quite the bit of glue, so far so good and the bond seems strong) Here is the pic:
photo3.jpg

I had to squeeze in the nose piece inwards a little to narrow it slightly so it would fit completely the contour of the M-Frame Lens so there might be some slight strain on the lens, and the custom pieces I attached, but the lens itself seems quite hardy (they should be right? After all they're oakleys!) and is able to take the strain.

The U-Rx carrier itself then I got glazed at my optometrist specifically for my prescription and then I just have to pop it into the nose piece. Here you go:

photo2.jpg

Fits perfectly. I'm using a Strike lens, which is the most similar in shape to the SI M-Frame 2.0 Lenses...to play it safe, and I like the strike shape anyway. I was initially torn between this and the Hybrid lens, but I think if I had chosen the hybrid lens the U-Rx Carrier bottom might stick out under the lens just a little. Another Pic:
photo1.jpg

So that's it with some customization, I now have inserts that I can use on any M-Frame Lens...I can also change the lens to whatever I want without having to make prescription ones which cost a bomb! Also I heard there are alot of QC issues with the embedded prescription ones done by oakleys and the embedded prescription starts to crack at its border just under a year...so glad I could avoid that.

Things to note: The sunglasses jut out abit more because of the larger nose piece and to make space to accommodate the U-Rx Carrier so you won't have to worry about the strike lens hitting your cheek. Of course the fit is not as close as it would be without the U-Rx Carrier so when the sun shine, I do notice some reflection...not sure if it's on the prescription lenses or the M-frame lenses....but it's not much, and it doesn't really bother me...But keep this in mind if you're going for this option. I do not find that much light bleeds in from the bottom, and definitely none at the sides.

I have to say when I took these out for a spin on my bicycle to work today, I was impressed. The optics are SO CLEAR. The sun was not out in full force, but somehow, I don't know if it's the Positive Red Iridium Coating or not, it made everything contrast so well and when the sun went behind clouds, I could still see everything as clearly/even more clearly then if I were using my regular prescription glasses. (I don't think the lenses put in my prescription were the best high end lenses...in fact I think they're rather run of the mill but I thought they were great anyway, which was fine by me since I was on a budget and the optometrist I went too didn't have much if any lens type choices) Definitely do not have to worry about sun glare anymore which is great! (And I get to look cool on my bike with the red iridium sheen :p )

So anyway, I hope this helps someone who is looking to wear Oakley's but has a prescription that is either too high for the stringent specs that Oakley can work with or want the option to switch lenses without having to get each of them custom made with their prescription. I spent days of trolling the internet to see if everything would work as I wanted it to and I could not find any information specifically for what I wanted to do. So I had to take a huge risk with my hard earned money. Fortunately it paid off (With some mods) so I hope this removes some risk for the rest of you guys as well.

And that's me. Cheers!!!

P.S. My biggest gripe was that I bought Jet Black M-Frame thinking it was Matt Black but just darker, but turns out it's Glossy Black...which is kind of a pain since you can't return customs, but I'll just deal with it, doesn't matter much and it's not the worst thing in the world.

Awesome news! I'm so sorry I forgot to get back to you on the specific hybrid vs strike size. I marked your message read and just plumb forgot.

And yeah, the M Frame is still using the late 90's frame colors. Black and Jet Black are now Matte Black and Polished Black, respectively. They probably changed it specifically due to issues like yours.

But I'm glad everything worked out! Glad to have another M Frame fan around here. Now you just need a dozen more frames and 20-30 lenses.

No Poison Rustpot!! I'm now broke!!

I'm growing on the Jet Black...Still would like the matte though! :p

Maybe in time (months or years) I will get some Vented Fire Iridium Lenses :)

Thanks for all your help Rustpot, I didn't want to ask you anymore because I was getting the feeling that I was bothering you waaayyyy too much hahaha. Wouldn't have taken the plunge without all your help. Oaklley should pay you commision from the money they earned from me!

Don't worry about it, I like helping out. I've just been slammed at work. Getting home after a 10 hour day and working remotely until I go to bed, repeat for a few weeks in a row, including weekend days working between 5 and 12 hours.

I went in an hour late today and left an hour early, I was just too burned out. But I'll pull a long weekend to make up for it, right :confused:

I'm personally not a fan of polished frames. I think I have 2 or 3 out of 40 that are polished.I have 4 standard [matte] black M Frames. One wears Livestrong yellow rubber with a fire vented Heater, one wears Slate rubber with a Duval sig Slate lens, one wears black rubber with a +Red Heater, and the fourth one has... something else? I can't recall and they're not around here. Do I only have 3? [Matte] black Pro frame has white rubber and a G30 Hybrid lens, [matte] black Gen2 is the Slash pair with Clear, [matte black] 2.0 frames have grey and clear ballistic lenses. The rootbeer frame I have is not polished so technically could be matte, that has a Gold polarized Strike. Fingerprint and Planet X frames are matte colors, those have their respective Slash lenses, I have a mixed Gen2 black with Fingerprint stems...

The Gold X, crystal black, and Dr Chop brushed metal custom are the only M Frames I have that are glossy at all.

I know this is a old thread but could the OP please go into more detail on what you added 4.8mm of as I cant tell from the photos? Does the lens itself have bumps or hooks that need something to grasp onto?

Also since its been over a year how has the modification held up as I really am thinking about doing this or ordering a SI Mframe 3.0 and getting a fake lens as it seems the lens are bigger than ESS.

Hey guys, just want to share with everyone my M-Frames that I finally got sorted with Prescription Inserts! Extremely happy about it especially since I've always wanted an M-Frame ever since I saw it. This is my first pair of Oakleys and I love them.

Initially I wanted to get oakley to do the M-Frame with the embedded prescription for me but my degree and astigmatism were too high and I was rejected which was a huge disappointment.

With a little hunting, and ALOT of help from fellow member Rustpot (Thanks again!!! I really appreciate it!!) I settled on the ESS U-Rx (http://www.esseyepro.com/U-Rx-Insert_191_detail.html) and Oakley Custom M-Frames directly from Oakley online.

The ESS U-Rx is officially compatible with M-Frame 2.0 lenses but NOT normal M-frame lenses because of missing hooks at the top. This meant I had to modify the U-Rx nose piece attachment to fit the commercial M-frames (which have the custom tints that I want). I superglued 2 pieces each at 4.8mm in length to the nose piece. (I really hope they hold, I did add quite the bit of glue, so far so good and the bond seems strong) Here is the pic: View attachment 41379
I had to squeeze in the nose piece inwards a little to narrow it slightly so it would fit completely the contour of the M-Frame Lens so there might be some slight strain on the lens, and the custom pieces I attached, but the lens itself seems quite hardy (they should be right? After all they're oakleys!) and is able to take the strain.

The U-Rx carrier itself then I got glazed at my optometrist specifically for my prescription and then I just have to pop it into the nose piece. Here you go:

View attachment 41380

Fits perfectly. I'm using a Strike lens, which is the most similar in shape to the SI M-Frame 2.0 Lenses...to play it safe, and I like the strike shape anyway. I was initially torn between this and the Hybrid lens, but I think if I had chosen the hybrid lens the U-Rx Carrier bottom might stick out under the lens just a little. Another Pic:
View attachment 41381

So that's it with some customization, I now have inserts that I can use on any M-Frame Lens...I can also change the lens to whatever I want without having to make prescription ones which cost a bomb! Also I heard there are alot of QC issues with the embedded prescription ones done by oakleys and the embedded prescription starts to crack at its border just under a year...so glad I could avoid that.

Things to note: The sunglasses jut out abit more because of the larger nose piece and to make space to accommodate the U-Rx Carrier so you won't have to worry about the strike lens hitting your cheek. Of course the fit is not as close as it would be without the U-Rx Carrier so when the sun shine, I do notice some reflection...not sure if it's on the prescription lenses or the M-frame lenses....but it's not much, and it doesn't really bother me...But keep this in mind if you're going for this option. I do not find that much light bleeds in from the bottom, and definitely none at the sides.

I have to say when I took these out for a spin on my bicycle to work today, I was impressed. The optics are SO CLEAR. The sun was not out in full force, but somehow, I don't know if it's the Positive Red Iridium Coating or not, it made everything contrast so well and when the sun went behind clouds, I could still see everything as clearly/even more clearly then if I were using my regular prescription glasses. (I don't think the lenses put in my prescription were the best high end lenses...in fact I think they're rather run of the mill but I thought they were great anyway, which was fine by me since I was on a budget and the optometrist I went too didn't have much if any lens type choices) Definitely do not have to worry about sun glare anymore which is great! (And I get to look cool on my bike with the red iridium sheen :p )

So anyway, I hope this helps someone who is looking to wear Oakley's but has a prescription that is either too high for the stringent specs that Oakley can work with or want the option to switch lenses without having to get each of them custom made with their prescription. I spent days of trolling the internet to see if everything would work as I wanted it to and I could not find any information specifically for what I wanted to do. So I had to take a huge risk with my hard earned money. Fortunately it paid off (With some mods) so I hope this removes some risk for the rest of you guys as well.

And that's me. Cheers!!!

P.S. My biggest gripe was that I bought Jet Black M-Frame thinking it was Matt Black but just darker, but turns out it's Glossy Black...which is kind of a pain since you can't return customs, but I'll just deal with it, doesn't matter much and it's not the worst thing in the world.
very cool
I also was wondering if u could elaborate on the 4.8mm section
thx
Chris

Back