• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Magnesium Switch

Dardonardo

Oakley Expert
Spain
Hi everyone, I just discovered that there is a line of magnesium oakleys. I had never heard of them before. I have found a guy selling these magnesium switch and they look awesome.

Now, are these magnesium oakleys good? Sre they similar to the xmetals? Are they rare? How much should I pay for a pair of magnesium switch mint with the box?

Thanks!!

They are not that rare, Can be picked up often, as there is a seller on ebay that regularly sells them for around $150 The line of switches and Mag 4's have issues with the ceramic coating peeling off the frame after awhile. Its a spring hinge design, there are no known earsock/nose pad replacements. If you plan on wearing them be prepared to see the wear on them after awhile near the earstem tips to start. I have a couple of them and they enjoy there time in the case. Sweat wil also wreck havoc on the frame as it breaks down the coating..... BNIB box maybe around $200 but I would do a serious inspection of them first... Oh yea, and lenses is another story.....As for the Mag M frame that was probably the best out of all there Magnesium lines for durability and options...

Thanks for the very detailed answer! I was planning on wearing them so i will pass on these, shame they look beautiful :)

If they are pristine and the price is right, why not get em. Wear them occasionally instead of as a daily pair and the life will be extended.

Last edited:
Had mine for less than a month before it was replaced with x metal xx due to corrosion and flaking. Great to wear on cool weather but not when you factor in sweat

Had mine for less than a month before it was replaced with x metal xx due to corrosion and flaking. Great to wear on cool weather but not when you factor in sweat

Believe it or not, winter time was the only time I really ever wore them. Had them on twice and in the case they sit....

I have a complete mint Mag 4 and love it. Maniac is right, it's an every now and then pair but the finish is beautiful, and the fire lenses that come in the mags are the coolest looking of all I've seen imo. Something about the solid orange with no yellows.
genu3epu.jpg

I have a complete mint Mag 4 and love it. Maniac is right, it's an every now and then pair but the finish is beautiful, and the fire lenses that come in the mags are the coolest looking of all I've seen imo. Something about the solid orange with no yellows.
genu3epu.jpg
I agree I have the Mag 4: Plasma / Fire and the fire lenses in those are the best I have ever seen. Just something different about them. Not just that thay are early produced fire lenses, something totally unique

Back