• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Making Augmented Reality Glasses!

interesting, but cant you just pull out ur phone and check watever u need to check

Same idea as putting a HUD in a car. Nav directions can be displayed and overlaid onto the road you're looking at, in major cities where the technology would really shine you'd (in theory) be able to walk down the street and see stores flagged by your friends or see a web rating projected onto storefronts making it easy to window shop.

If the technology just pops your phone display into your glasses it's pointless and annoying, but truly augmenting reality means adding an additional layer of information to what you see.

Same idea as putting a HUD in a car. Nav directions can be displayed and overlaid onto the road you're looking at, in major cities where the technology would really shine you'd (in theory) be able to walk down the street and see stores flagged by your friends or see a web rating projected onto storefronts making it easy to window shop.

If the technology just pops your phone display into your glasses it's pointless and annoying, but truly augmenting reality means adding an additional layer of information to what you see.

ok i missed that, sorry. i thought this was like something you where you hook up ur glasses thru blutooth or something to your phone.

Been trying to stay clued up on this **** for a while..Sony, Microsoft, apple and google have all filed patents regarding a HUD...I would imagine so have countless others.,the premise sounds incredible and if it's pulled off right we'll all have one by 2015..it's like the mobile phone, just harder to get people on board...I reckon all involved tech would be third party and Oakley would be strictly aesthetics...still makes for an exciting prospect though (apart from the "taking photos of strangers without them having a fcuking clue")

As fascinating as the tech sounds, I guarantee you that we'll still end up just being force-fed advertising all the bloody time thru this new medium too, thereby completely spoiling it.

Apache gunship pilots have technology in their visors which react to their eye movements. Imagine how that technology would be spoiled if they got messages up in the heat of combat saying. "You can fire this Hellfire missile in 30 seconds" while having to sit thru a fking Gillette commercial.

Back