1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. NashCasten

NashCasten Oakley Beginner

Got the Oakley Penny Yesterday
    I'm fairly satisfied with it.

The blasted finish was great 10/10
    Rubbers were aftermarket Linegear (Black) and Red (Walleva) 7/10 because they're not OEM.
    Lenses were by Walleva 8/10 closer inspection last night there was a sticky rubber placed inside the frame so that the lenses wont wiggle. I removed them because they were making the lenses sticky and dirty. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take a photo of it.

However that made the lenses wiggle like crazy when you're cleaning it

Oakley Penny - X - Metal Refinished - Aftermarket Wiggly Lenses - Fix - 2016-03-16 09.45.32.jpg

Oakley Penny - X - Metal Refinished - Aftermarket Wiggly Lenses - Fix - 2016-03-16 09.45.45.jpg
    So I ended up fixing it it today. I learned this fix from Oakley Warranty when I got my first Juliet serviced because the lenses were wiggling a week after i purchased them. Believe it or not these were out of the box fresh and new Juliet's.

They inserted a small piece of plastic fishing line inside the lens.

Oakley Penny - X - Metal Refinished - Aftermarket Wiggly Lenses - Fix - 2016-03-16 12.32.58.jpg

Oakley Penny - X - Metal Refinished - Aftermarket Wiggly Lenses - Fix - 2016-03-16 12.33.05.jpg Oakley Penny - X - Metal Refinished - Aftermarket Wiggly Lenses - Fix - 2016-03-16 12.33.13.jpg

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Funky-Trixtar

Funky-Trixtar Me ,some time ago............. Premium Member

Thank you @NashCasten. A handy method I wouldn't have thought about. Which also is 'invisible' to the naked eye and is better than pieces of paper or card.

3. Nortika

Nortika Oakley Expert Premium Member

Nice set of Pennys, that's a great ideal!

4. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

Great method. Interesting that it wasn't well known before. Secrets out!!

5. motoGP_fanatic

motoGP_fanatic Disciple of X-Metal

Nice pair. Why are you selling it now?

6. thisguy

thisguy Oakley Expert

The finish on those Penny's looks good. Thanks for sharing a tip on how to make lenses fit better if they are too small.

7. NashCasten

Dont get me wrong I love the frames but the aftermarket lenses for the lack of better term are (Sh%t).

I think I'm having buyers remorse because of the lenses.

But yeah I might decide to keep it and just get Donor Lenses re-cut to fit the frame.

Any chance you guys know if i can us oakley flak jacket or oakley flak jacket xlj (8.75 base) lenses as donors for my penny?

Last edited: 3/16/16
  8. Litos

Litos I believe in babies, music, magic and mom and dad

Yeah, let me summon @Chris A Hardaway for you lol...

NashCasten likes this.
  9. Chris A Hardaway

Chris A Hardaway The Man Loves to Chop 'Em. Premium Member

@NashCasten, yes you can use either of those flak and flak jacket xlj options! Plenty of colors available. PS, fishing line isn't sticky so that's cool! I wonder if this is what was used before... Picture attached. Oakley Penny - X - Metal Refinished - Aftermarket Wiggly Lenses - Fix - Screenshot_2016-03-16-18-57-21.png

Last edited: 3/16/16
    Sun & Sand and motoGP_fanatic like this.
  10. NashCasten

Chris thanks for the guidance I really appreciate it.

I was actually thinking of a using a silicone base adhesive to line the edges of the lens before inserting them on the frame. But i didn't want to risk damaging the frames, in theory it shouldn't but I don't have the heart to play mad scientist right now. hahahaha...

Chris A Hardaway likes this.