• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Prizm Lens Technology - I Wish You Guys Could Have Seen What I Saw Today!

So thankfully, because I sold so many Oakleys last year, I'm out here in California near their facility going through meetings and training seminars and honestly a little bit of party and vacation on their (very generous) dime. What an amazing and fantastic company and when you really get to see the amount of research they put into their product it is mind blowing! I have a few basic pictures to share and I will touch on a few things however nothing that they would get upset about and I also cannot comment on anything in a personal message either. What I can say is they have a mind blowing new lens technology that has been 15 years in the making, it's called Prizm and it's mind blowing. I was given a golf specific Prizm lens to take out to the golf event they had lined up and it was amazing the way the color contrast could read the greens of the course, you could actually tell where grass was dying beforeyou could see it with your own eyes. It's like a G30 lens on steroids, so I would get pretty pumped up on seeking out specific Prizm lenses for your sporting needs, golf, baseball, cycling, etc. The other thing, the most important thing .... Well I can't talk about, you'll just have to wait till next year. It's their 40th year anniversary and they're definitely stepping up to the table with some cool, bad a55 sh1t. ;-) I so wish you could have seen what I saw today but unfortunately you'll have to wait. Good things are to come next year, 2014 was a bit soft but things will be changing for the better. Also some new women's styles along with new more standard men's styles all seem to be great, killer looks for next year. It can't get here soon enough and no I won't get into details, lol.

2014-10-06 20.12.19.jpg
2014-10-06 12.59.22.jpg
2014-10-06 13.31.35.jpg
2014-10-06 13.31.16.jpg
2014-10-06 13.30.09.jpg
2014-10-07 14.13.09.jpg
2014-10-07 17.51.58.jpg
2014-10-07 17.52.11.jpg
2014-10-07 18.31.32.jpg
2014-10-08 17.41.45.jpg

Update:

My rep said I'm allowed to talk about it and build up hype for the product so I can tell you what was explained to me. I don't have the graphs I was shown and I'm the farthest thing from a scientist (lol) so I will do my best to tell you what I have learned. For starters lets say you have a graph showing the light spectrum in nanometers, like this:

VisibleLightSpectrumPlus.jpg

Well a basic lens like a black iridium has a pretty flat line across that light spectrum to block the majority of light and colors coming through, not paying specific detail to any certain color in particular. Now let's say you have a lens like G30 for Golf. With that lens they made it so it would allow in more of the colors you wanted to see on a golf course, but they weren't able to fine tune it to exact/specific colors but more of a wide sweep within that color range, notice the graph below to see what I mean about the large sweep focusing on letting more yellow and orange light in (just an example):

spectrum.jpg

Now with Prizm they have been able to fine tune the exact colors they want you to see. If you think of an Oakley G30 lens for Golf being like an HD radio in your car, think of PRIZM being an EQ tuner to get that even more perfect sound:

213652d1294726735-designs-audio-page-ranking-em-eq2-designs_em-eq2.jpg

So now, instead of having a broad swing to allow in or block certain light spectrums they can focus more directly on the exact colors they either want to allow in or block: Here is an idea roughly showing the spikes they can now do (let's say for the sake of the graph they wanted to allow in just purple and yellow light):

AquaticLife_650nm_spectral_graph_0.png

So that's a basic idea so you understand how it works. Again, I'm not a scientist ... I sell sunglasses for a living. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
And if anyone wants to see prizm in person you can see it in goggles. Some are in store already. Hard to see the difference until the snow hits but I couldn't agree more - it will really put Oakley optics into the forefront again!

I am super stoked for next year, must be some of the new metal frame renditions we have been hearing rumors about. Pretty excited and knowing Oakley, I am already saving some $$$ I bet they don't come cheap.

Thanks for the encouraging words!!

Back