• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Production Numbers Are Being Misleading Towards Collectors In My Opinion

alcapon1

I should Work at Oakley
West Side
Oakleys been getting a little under my skin lately about production numbers on glasses.The new Robert Williams are out and on the site (which is fine) but no coming soon on those? I wanted the FMJ Holbrooks and then they sold out in 24 hours which was just ridicules compared to how long they had them up as coming soon, No official number until after they sold out. there are more examples but nobody like to read past this point...lol. No statements on production numbers anymore as well...They need to state how many are made if they are going to indeed say they are limited, when they don't they are misleading customers a bit. just sayin...

Does anyone agree???

Oakleys been getting a little under my skin lately about production numbers on glasses.The new Robert Williams are out and on the site (which is fine) but no coming soon on those? I wanted the FMJ Holbrooks and then they sold out in 24 hours which was just ridicules compared to how long they had them up as coming soon. there are more examples but nobody like to read past this point...lol. No statements on production numbers anymore as well...They need to state how many are made if they are going to indeed say they are limited, when they don't they are misleading customers. just sayin...

Does anyone agree???

yes very much so, read my post i posted about Robert williams, i want to pull the trigger on them but if there not going to be so RARE then i may just pass.

the rare stuff separates itself from the mass produced like oil and water.
I dont think its intentional, I think its bad project management.
the Robert Williams was "coming soon" for like a 1.5 years.

The collector stuff just happens. Even ugly ass glasses become collectible for weird reasons

Why would they do that? If they dont release production numbers collectors will buy everything in the hopes that a couple will end up being rare. If they do, collectors will only by the rare ones.

Why would they do that? If they dont release production numbers collectors will buy everything in the hopes that a couple will end up being rare. If they do, collectors will only by the rare ones.

they used to tell how many limited items were made in limited edition and other editions, The PitBoss were only suppose to be a limited production number too but never a direct number which was bull, they even went with serialized sunglasses to target collectors on standard pair. I do feel like this is a manipulation...not saying they are do it on purpose, just I get that feeling that they don't care 1 bit about consumers, just move them out.

yes very much so, read my post i posted about Robert williams, i want to pull the trigger on them but if there not going to be so RARE then i may just pass.

I read this and is directly why I started this thread, I have the RW and I personally don't care if they are 500 rare or 5000 but I just don't care for the tactics to sell many of their items. I buy because I love them and technically they are not part of the artist series if you ask me as they were not advertised that way, only limited. This is even more confusing and artist do signature series as well like c100 goggles which 100% sick.

you will only pay retail buying directly from oakley.
The value of a pair of glasses on the secondary market has (and should have) very little impact on their strategy.

Ultimately you should just buy what you want to own.

However, I do agree that it is confusing as to the distinction and definition of Collectors Edition and Limited Edition pairs.

you will only pay retail buying directly from oakley.
The value of a pair of glasses on the secondary market has (and should have) very little impact on their strategy.

Ultimately you should just buy what you want to own.

However, I do agree that it is confusing as to the distinction and definition of Collectors Edition and Limited Edition pairs.

I agree, I really do just buy what I like but sometimes I plan to buy when an item is coming out or I am watching them closely and they are already gone ...

Oakley has just all of a sudden changed their mind on item classifications too. Many people remember Chip Foose "artist series" Gascans ? first 1500 serialized, then changed to signature series? and serials could only be bought from Oakley factory direct so collectors had to buy from them . I think the Chip Foose SERIAL Gascans are a major collectors item in my own opinion by the way. I have #62 pair and I have never seen anyone with a serialized certificate for that pair even though they are limited to 5000 already.:doh: They represent the indecision in Oakleys own product line and are the only pair that fall in line as Artist Series, Signature Series, and 1500 first serialized eye wear,

Another major oddity, the c100 goggles are also crazy. the only artist to have 2 AS glasses but then a UK signature series goggle with artwork almost identical with his Jupiter AS. WTH right? anyone confused yet? AS Petterson, artist after dark pairs, actually Robert Williams are not even Artist Series if you think about.We only associate it as so because it was shown on a little section of the coming soon to the artist series. You could argue that Troy Lee belongs in the AS just as much as anyone but no they are signature series, I can go on forever....at least then they stated how many they would make in the past

I agree, I really do just buy what I like but sometimes I plan to buy when an item is coming out or I am watching them closely and they are already gone ...

Oakley has just all of a sudden changed their mind on item classifications too. Many people remember Chip Foose "artist series" Gascans ? first 1500 serialized, then changed to signature series? and serials could only be bought from Oakley factory direct so collectors have to buy from them . I think the Chip Foose SERIAL Gascans are a major collectors item in my own opinion by the way. I have #62 pair and I have never seen anyone with a serialized certificate for that pair even though they are limited to 5000 already.:doh: They represent the indecision in Oakleys own product line and are the only pair that fall in line as Artist Series, Signature Series, and 1500 first serialized eye wear,

Another major oddity, the c100 goggles are also crazy. the only artist to have 2 AS glasses but then a UK signature series goggle with artwork almost identical with his Jupiter AS. WTH right? anyone confused yet? AS Petterson, artist after dark pairs, actually Robert Williams are not even Artist Series if you think about. You could argue that Troy Lee belongs in the AS just as much as anyone but no they are signature series, I can go on forever....

Flores has 2 AS pairs...

Back