• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Production Numbers Are Being Misleading Towards Collectors In My Opinion

The odd thing about the Pattersons is that he made 50 Frogskins, one colour way for each pair, and that was it. As far as I know he's never actually had a signature pair or a more widely available limited edition model. Why not? He's stuff was insanely good and would sell so why only give him that when other artists got much more widespread releases?

Wow, I'm glad I buy to wear.
i.e. frames that I think look nice and suit my face.

I'd hate to worry about Shelf Whore sh1t like this. Not being able to sleep for fretting about how many other people on Earth might have the same sunglasses as me.

:wink:

coming from another angle, there has always been a debate on the production numbers for the Romeo2 Gary Scelzi. It was supposedly 1500 only, but we still see them fairly commonly.. well at least up till 3-4 months ago. havent heard of many since then for some reason.

not that i mind, but if they SAY 1500, it should be 1500 like they said it would be.

Yeah I am with Herbs on this...friends that collect dvd's are always buying limited editions then complaining when they can sell them for big money after few years or why best buy has them still for less than day of release... sorry I dont have example ...same with Oakley stuff I had Scelzi Fives and sold em to guy at O store because I hated the way they felt-flimsiest things I have ever seen...was glad with whatever I got..think it was Flaks which I still wear all the time. What is really limited....the real collectors on here would know but it seems to me all these "collectible" Shaun White signatures , for example, are just headed for people's shelves for life without going up in value...

The only ones I collect that I wouldnt wear are the Frogskins and OTT. Other than that Id love to wear all of them except I dont want to mess them up. So I wear a few and I consider them the USED ones. Everything else is NIB

I don't see the big deal. Oakley never released a production number for the RW dispatch but everyone is expecting the numbers to match a rumor(witch could have been dreamt up by someone while taking a crap). If Oakley says they are limited edition, then they are limited. The numbers they produce, whether it's 500 or 50000 still becomes limited when they stop production.

There is nothing misleading About calling them limited, it's really just peoples expectations that have upset everyone.

Wow, I'm glad I buy to wear.
i.e. frames that I think look nice and suit my face.

I'd hate to worry about Shelf Whore sh1t like this. Not being able to sleep for fretting about how many other people on Earth might have the same sunglasses as me.

:wink:

Sorry man but wearing some of the things -I have- would be a tragedy and completely....well....boneheaded. Like my hand painted Petersons or one off factory items, or even some of my mint x metals. Talking about production numbers and product divisions may seem a little dry to other members but I love knowing everything I possibly can about what I have, and I am not losing sleep over that, believe me, I just love it and was a part of some of the stuff at least in a small way... I would still buy this stuff as I said no matter how many they make but when you pick up a pair of mint leather mars 8 years ago and are now worth over 1000$, its a little tough to wear, that also does not mean I cant question how limited "limited edition" is when they no longer tell us . Shelf whore or curator....there is a fine line. If I was not wearing regular black Gascan and shelf whoring those ya I am a shelf whore....but I wear my pairs, even my FMJ Holbooks... but I have retired many to the cabinet which the first words out of peoples mouth when they see it is "Dam dude...those are awesome!"

I don't see the big deal. Oakley never released a production number for the RW dispatch but everyone is expecting the numbers to match a rumor(witch could have been dreamt up by someone while taking a crap). If Oakley says they are limited edition, then they are limited. The numbers they produce, whether it's 500 or 50000 still becomes limited when they stop production.

There is nothing misleading About calling them limited, it's really just peoples expectations that have upset everyone.
I believe the production number on the RW is 500 (supposedly).

Back